Advanced Search

Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro, 2017 questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro, 2017 questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I have a couple of questions about the Wicked Edge Gen 3 Pro, 2017.

• The sharpener comes without a large base plate like the Pro Packs. Is it stable enough (no movement) without such a large base plate?  And if not, is it easy to mount it on a base plate?
    • The sharpener comes with a few shelves. It can be delivered without shelves. This has the advantage it becomes lower.  For me this is important, since the higher sharpener causes pain in my shoulders. For the sharpener without the shelves I have the same questions. Is it stable enough (no movement) without a large base plate?  And if not, is it easy to mount it on a base plate?
    • Does a low angle adapter fit in the Gen 3 Pro? I am aware the angle settings won’t be correct anymore, but alas.
    • Do the 1/4″ jaws fit the Gen 3 Pro?
    • Does the scissor attachment fit the Gen 3 Pro?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Mark:

The base of the Gen 3 Pro is quite heavy.  I’ve done maybe 60 knives on mine and it never occurred to me that the rig needed a more stable platform.

To mount it on a base plate, you’d have to drill a few holes.  Depending on the method you use, you might have (or want) to tap a few holes.

I actually installed a spacer between the vise and the base, with the purpose of increasing the amount of stone length that could be used on narrow bladed knives.  I use the rig on the same table I used with my Gen 1 rig and I don’t have a problem with the height.  In fact, I think the added height is an advantage for me because I see the edge better.  That having been said, I don’t know what your physical limitations would be.  For you, maybe too high.  The base without the storage shelves would seem to be your best bet.

My old LAA doesn’t fit because the Gen 3 vise is wider.  As stated elsewhere on the forum, you’d have to remove the ears which centered the LAA onto the old vises.  Not having done that yet, I don’t know if you’d also have to reduce the width of the tab so it would fit between the corner pads on the vise.

The 1/4″ jaws were made specifically for the Gen 3 vise, which is the same for the Pro.

My scissor attachment fits perfectly between the corner pads in the Gen 3 vise.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I will second tcmeyer’s comments about stability. The bottom plate has rubber feet and it also weighs several pounds. I have never had the sharpener move without intending for it to do so. You might want to wait on purchasing the quarter inch jaws since they will be issuing re-designed ones that feature the 2017 design changes. The old ones should work just fine, but they don’t have the split jaw or the improved depth key holes.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, guys.

I’m not entirely sure how the shelves can be removed. Does this mean the sharpener get mounted to the current bottom plate? In that case, it is probably stable enough. (Am I right?)

But I’m not sure whether the sharpener gets mounted to the current bottom plate. I don’t know what it will be mounted to. Do you know (if it is not the current bottom plate) whether it will still be stable enough? Or is it better to mount it myself to a heavier/larger base?

Clay, have you any idea about this? You probably know best how the sharpener gets mounted if the shelves are removed: to the current bottom plate or to something else.

Thanx!

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Mark my bottom plate (shelves removed) is mounted to Granite base

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Marc. Did you do this because the sharpener without the shelves was not stable enough?

MarcH

I did not want the extra height.  I sent you PM

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

tried several bases………now days i just clamp to table

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

I asked Clay this question specifically, because I believe the shelving unit will make the sharpener too tall to use comfortably. He said that, while he regularly uses the Gen 3 Pro with the shelves attached while doing demos, he finds it more ergonomic to remove the shelving unit and rest the sharpener on a table. It is stable enough to use without a clamp or separate base plate.

I don’t have my Gen 3 Pro yet, but this is what I was told.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That’s correct. We’re in the process of designing a conversion kit to make it easy to remove the shelves and attach the top plate to the bottom plate. The shelves will get a one-piece, bent sheet metal bottom, back and partial top, along with some rubber feet. The combined weight of the vise, degree plate, angle setting mechanisms, top plate and bottom plate is plenty to hold everything stable and you’ll still have the shelving system, just off to the side, for storing your stones.

-Clay

Anarchy84
    Participant

That’s correct. We’re in the process of designing a conversion kit to make it easy to remove the shelves and attach the top plate to the bottom plate. The shelves will get a one-piece, bent sheet metal bottom, back and partial top, along with some rubber feet. The combined weight of the vise, degree plate, angle setting mechanisms, top plate and bottom plate is plenty to hold everything stable and you’ll still have the shelving system, just off to the side, for storing your stones.

Thank you. As configured currently, is it difficult to remove the shelving unit on the 2017 Gen 3 Pro? What’s the process involve?

MarcH

Clay is there a conversion or upgrade kit to allow for the addition of the clamp tension adjusting device to the pre-2017 Gen 3 Pro?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thank you. As configured currently, is it difficult to remove the shelving unit on the 2017 Gen 3 Pro? What’s the process involve?

It’s pretty easy – first scribe a line on the Lexan Back Plate with a sharp knife, just under the black Top Plate. It’s easiest to do this by reaching inside the shelves. The reason for the line is to identify where you’re going to cut the Back Plate. Remove the Back Plate and carefully cut it along the scribed line. I recommend using thin, fine blade on a jig-saw. Set the two pieces aside. Next, remove screws that hold the black Top Plate onto the shelving uprights and set the top section aside. Then remove the screws that hold the bottom plate to the shelving uprights. The holes for the two plates line up so you can set your top half onto the bottom plate. Part of the new conversion kit will include custom nuts that fit in the counter-bores on the bottom plate. Until those are ready, double sided tape works great for attaching the top plate to the bottom plate. You can use your top screw to help align the plates when sticking them together. Attach the smaller, top half of the Back Plate to the black Top Plate.

* Optionally, you can use some double sided tape to attach the remaining portion of the Back Plate to the shelving uprights. Attach some rubber feet to the bottom of the shelving uprights. Nylon 1/4-20 screws also work well as feet and can be screwed into the bottom of the shelving uprights. You can make the assembly more stable by putting a 1/8″ piece of Plexiglass on the bottom. Cut it to fit and then drill holes to align with the holes in the bottom of the shelving uprights. Hold it in place with the nylon screws that also double as feet.

-Clay

Anarchy84
    Participant

A perfect response as always. Thanks Clay!

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Clay is there a conversion or upgrade kit to allow for the addition of the clamp tension adjusting device to the pre-2017 Gen 3 Pro?

Yes, you can order the new 2017 clamp by calling Wicked Edge (I ordered one on Monday). The cost is $204.75. Kyle announced the details in this thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.