Advanced Search

What's the most important thing you've learned (about sharpening with the WE?)

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat What's the most important thing you've learned (about sharpening with the WE?)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  cjb80202 08/15/2017 at 8:24 am.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Nick Middleton
    Participant

I would say this YouTube Video posted by Curry Custom Cutlery made me completely rethink where I mount my knives in the vice.

I was wasting a lot of time having to change my motion, or make extra strokes in sections to correct the bevel.  I didn’t realize I was compensating for not having the knife if the best location and not being able to get an even-bevel on horizontal swipes. I had to use extra vertical-stokes to grind the areas not getting the same attention! I was getting even heel & tip; but not heel, tip, & belly!  I made a cardboard template like his to help with determining the best spot on a knife that and it removes the guess-work. I didn’t not have a good grasp of the effect of edge-height and belly-curvature.

5 users thanked author for this post.

sksharp
      Participant

That is a very good video Nick! I have to add to my prior post, recording the placement of the knife in the clamp with the adv. alignment guide is something that I’ve done from the start and glad I did. Repeatability is one of the major advantages of the WE.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark76

Yup, indeed a very good video that not only explains things, but also gives practical advice. Looking forward to the advanced alighnment guide.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge
          Japanese Knife Reviews: my blog about Japanese kitchen knives

2 users thanked author for this post.

cjb80202
          Participant

Don’t push/press the stone against the blade; let the weight of the stone be all the pressure you need.

In aviation it’s called trying to squeeze the black out of the stick; the tendency of new pilots to squeeze like hell. I had the same tendency in my early sharpenings – to really squeeze the stone and to grind the blade way too hard.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.