Advanced Search

What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Stasel
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 56

I was under the impression Clay said NOT to use an ultrasonic on the diamond stones… or was it the ceramics he said that about…

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It wasn’t me, it was BassLakeDan in this post: Diamond Stone and Strop Care – http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=2&id=3101&Itemid=63#3102. Suddenly my edit toolbar is missing which I’ll have to investigate. For now, you can copy and paste the link into your address bar.

-Clay

Ryan Stasel
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 56

ah ha, I knew I had seen it somewhere!

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Clay, you’ve been using your same diamond stones for years and many hundreds of knives, right? They still work just fine? See any need for H2SO4?

You may well have entered your stone cleaning routine in the WIKI already, if not, would you enter it under something like “Clay’s preferred cleaning method”?

Are you unsatisfied with the performance of any of your stone cleaning methods?

Looking forward to your reply. Would rather leave strong chemicals out of my cleaning arsenal.

Thanks,
    Mike

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, you’ve been using your same diamond stones for years and many hundreds of knives, right? They still work just fine? See any need for H2SO4?

You may well have entered your stone cleaning routine in the WIKI already, if not, would you enter it under something like “Clay’s preferred cleaning method”?

Are you unsatisfied with the performance of any of your stone cleaning methods?

Looking forward to your reply. Would rather leave strong chemicals out of my cleaning arsenal.

Thanks,
    Mike

Hey Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have been using my stones for a long time and I haven’t felt any need to use acidic cleaners on them. I’ll try to write something up and post it to the Wiki and FAQ.

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Eww, avoid playing with acid.
    Consider, even if you are being safe, they can give off caustic fumes that can mess up things in the same area. I once used hot vinegar for etching, left it in a cruddy old crock pot, and forgot about it for 2 days. This was out in a corner of my garage. All my tools on that side of the garage rusted. The mower rusted. Heck the door springs rusted. So…if you insist on using acid as a cleaner, you cannot spend too much time researching.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned using an old eraser. I tried it, and it worked pretty well. I used the old tan gum type, not the red rubber ones. I also have a large version of this made to clean belt sander belts. Cheap, safe, and cheap.

Just my .02

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

+1 I don’t think any cleaning solution is require, or at most something mild. Stones don’t get “dirty” the pores just get clogged up. Water and tooth brush/mild scrubbing pad is normally fine. Erasers also work.

My fear with anything too caustic is it would weaken the binder.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

On the diamonds I have just used hot water and a stiff finger nail brush. They clean up quickly and completely.
    On my cermic hones (non-WEPS) I just use whatever kind of kitchen cleanser I have around… make a bit of a paste with water, put it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then hit it with the same nail brush. They are not brand new looking when I get done, but plenty close. The biggest thing is that they seem to cut just fine when I am done.

Phil

Clay, I have had the edit tools go missing myself… Often I just toggle “compatibility mode” on/off in IE 9…and refresh the page to bring it back.

I have also spent half an hour or much more composing a reply…pressed the “submit” button…and had it all dissappear. It has happened so often, from several different machines, that I have taken to copying my reply and saving it to a Word document, before daring to hit submit…

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Which flavor of Barkeepers to use? Cleanser & Polish, Cookware Cleanser, or the liquid type.

Thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster

Which flavor of Barkeepers to use? Cleanser & Polish, Cookware Cleanser, or the liquid type. Thanks

I use the liquid type.

-Clay

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

There are a number of factors in play here.  I may be off the mark on some of these items; cleaning the platens may have more than one step or solution depending on many things.

1. If the knives you are sharpening are not cleaned of all organic material, you could be introducing a layer that can polymerize into pretty strong glue (think Elmer’s or hide glue) that may bind the swarf and require different cleaning methods than just removing clean swarf. Residue from tape, wood, paint etc. can quickly foul abrasives.
    2. The diamonds are attached with either a nickel or cobalt based alloy which may be attacked by strong acids; stainless steels have high nickel content and anything that may dissolve the stainless swarf (which has fairly high nickel content) may also cause some diamonds to fall off. Weak acids that don’t attack the matrix holding the diamonds may take a long time to be effective on a stone highly loaded with stainless swarf.   If the swarf is mostly iron, a weak acid will work much better than on stainless.  Personally, I like sulfamic acid which is not toxic, a little stronger than vinegar and doesn’t smell.  It also comes in solid form which is easy to store and make up whatever dilution necessary; a drop of dish detergent for a surfactant would help.  I use it for descaling my espresso machine which has a lot of different alloys in contact with the water and it hasn’t hurt it in over 10 years.  When I was in the Navy, they used sulfamic acid to descale the evaporators that were used to distill sea water.  Another choice would be phosphoric acid; I’d probably just use the metal prep variety that is made to use before primer on steel.  Detergents made for dishwashers can be pretty powerful and may be a good solution but may attack adhesives over time.  Careful research should be done prior to using anything that may affect the platens.
    3. The swarf has sharp edges and can be much harder than the matrix securing the diamonds; it can become embedded and very hard to remove. Swarf can load the pores of ceramic stones; it can build up on any abrasive medium and cause unexpected scratches.  The solution is to use light strokes.  I also like to keep my ceramic and diamond stones wet with water and a tiny amount of detergent to help wash away the swarf as it is produced and to keep the temperature down where metal is being scraped off of the blade. The water and detergent also helps keep debris from flying all over the rods and ball joints, but it can be messy and may promote corrosion.
    4. Swarf that isn’t cleared relatively quickly may expand as it corrodes making it much harder to remove. Abrasive cleansers may over time help erode the matrix that holds the diamonds.

Maybe Clay can show some microscope pictures of various stones before and after cleaning with various methods.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I like the ultrasonic Idea for a occasional deep clean, however, for regular maintenance I use regular dish soap and a battery operated pot scrubbing sonic scrubber.  You can find the tool (here). 

Sonic-Scrubber

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Ski bum
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

I recently got a pro pack2 and after breaking in the stones on old kitchen knives I used my sonicare tooth brush with an old brush head to clean all my stones. I used windex glass cleaner and the stones and ceramics looked brand new again. Thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and expierience with the wicked edge system. My Henckels twin pro knives are now sharper then the day the left the factory.I could not have done it without the help of this forum.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Gregg – thanks for the science there, that’s extremely helpful for everybody here. I’ll experiment with the sulfamic acid.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

M1rrorEdge and Ski bum – thanks for the tips on the sonic scrubbers. I’ll try on of those as well.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.