Advanced Search

What did I do to my strops?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping What did I do to my strops?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KnifeLobbyist
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I used these on a few knives and followed all the directions. Never used a backward stroke. I used them today on a 7″ kitchen knife and this is what happened. They flaked/chipped and appear to be ruined. Any idea why this happened and how to prevent it in the future when I replace them? They don’t appear “cut” but “flaked”.

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Sure ’nuff, that looks different from the cow leather strops I started with (are they maybe kangaroo?), so I have to accept your description at face value.  That said, all of the splits look just like the cuts I experienced when I accidentally went “edge leading.”  It can also happen where you try to make long, diagonal up-strokes on long blades.  Although you fully intend to make a continuous upward stroke, the fact is that anytime your strop stroke approaches horizontal, you’re likely to slice the leather.  Better to make a number of vertical-up strokes with each pass.

FWIW, I found I could continue to use the strops, even with the damage I inflicted on them.  If a flap refuses to cooperate, just cut it off.  If you can, you might try gluing the flap down into its intended position.

For leather, the best thing I’ve found is an adhesive called “Shoe Goo” – an incredibly tuff silicone.  I have a pair of hunting boots I wrecked by sitting on one foot while roofing my garage in 1985.  The seams alongside the laces failed where the thread were worn through.  Fixed it with Shoe Goo and the boots are still serviceable.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    KnifeLobbyist
    Participant

Sure ’nuff, that looks different from the cow leather strops I started with (are they maybe kangaroo?), so I have to accept your description at face value. That said, all of the splits look just like the cuts I experienced when I accidentally went “edge leading.” It can also happen where you try to make long, diagonal up-strokes on long blades. Although you fully intend to make a continuous upward stroke, the fact is that anytime your strop stroke approaches horizontal, you’re likely to slice the leather. Better to make a number of vertical-up strokes with each pass. FWIW, I found I could continue to use the strops, even with the damage I inflicted on them. If a flap refuses to cooperate, just cut it off. If you can, you might try gluing the flap down into its intended position. For leather, the best thing I’ve found is an adhesive called “Shoe Goo” – an incredibly tuff silicone. I have a pair of hunting boots I wrecked by sitting on one foot while roofing my garage in 1985. The seams alongside the laces failed where the thread were worn through. Fixed it with Shoe Goo and the boots are still serviceable.

I will try gluing them down before I order another set. On that long kitchen knife I shouldn’t have bothered with the strops. Oh well…live an learn. Thanks for th info and advice.

Knurling_Turtle
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I did that to my leather strops on the first knife I sharpened. whoops I was using a diagonal stroke but passing beyond the tip and slicing the face of my strop. It did show me that I was applying uneven pressure during my strokes since only the right strop was damaged.

They still work but I just ordered another blank set, added a set with the 3.5/5 compound, and the 1200/1500 ceramics. It seems I’m going to end up with every grit and abrasive offered.

KnifeLobbyist
    Participant

I am sure I will end up doing the same!!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think Tom is right that the long, diagonal stroke can end up giving you those slices. If you’re working on a long knife, try a series of shorter, more vertical upward strokes. We have replacement leather if you need it too.

-Clay

KnifeLobbyist
    Participant

I think Tom is right that the long, diagonal stroke can end up giving you those slices. If you’re working on a long knife, try a series of shorter, more vertical upward strokes. We have replacement leather if you need it too.

So I can just get the leather strips without the handles? If so I’ll order new ones today.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

So I can just get the leather strips without the handles? If so I’ll order new ones today.

You sure can. The best thing is to just call in and order them since we don’t list them on the site. (877) 616-9911

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’ve never seen this before. Like other people, I think Tom could be right.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.