Advanced Search

What are you sharpening today?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat What are you sharpening today?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Not sure where you are looking.. I do see some tape residue, ( shine in the center of the blade. ) I just shot this last night after I removed the tape. This is my everyday carry… it could have some pocket lint, not to be confused with belly button tint.

<b></b><i></i><u></u>

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

Today was a Microtech Troodon, Elmax blade. Best I can do for photos currently is my phone. lol.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Colin
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

no pictures of my amateur trials, but I did an Opinel number 8 carbone to 40 inclusive, a spyderco kiwi to 40 inclusive, and the shitty kitchenaid I make my roommates use to 37 inclusive. Still not as sharp as my factory Asai Hayabusa, but getting there! Will likely get there with the 800/1k and 1.2k/1.6k stones and a proper base on sunday!

Anonymous
    Inactive

How did you measure these angles?  40 * degrees inclusive   37* degrees inclusive ?

Bill aka ET

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

I make the assumption that by 40 degrees inclusive Colin sharpened the edge at 20 degrees per side, or 20 degrees exclusive. So, 37 degrees would be sharpening each side of the blade at 18.5 degrees.  I have come to love the angle cube persionally, as it helps ensure the bevels match up.

Colin; I have found that while stopping at the 600 grit stones creates a sharp edge, continuing to the 800/1k will reifine it even more. Also stropping makes a differance. I am by no means on the same level as a lot of the guys on this fourm, but I hope that this helps. The fourm, and the info the folks here share have been a huge help to me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Colin doesn’t have an angle cube. he doesn’t have a base, he only has the very basic 299 W.E. without a base. When you make assumptions, you know what they say.. So you divided his announced inclusive angle by 2… Why didn’t I think of that ? You would think that after 30 years of mechanical engineering, I would have learned that.

Since you are trying to answer a question that I posted specifically to him, and you didn’t take the time to read his post or you would have known that

I’m going  ask again, how did you measure such specific angles?.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Hi All,

Tried sharpening these 2 knives, but the Gen 3 upgrade vise would not hold them. The black knife is a OKC Spec Plus Air Force. It was too thick to fit in the clamp. The other had no Mfg info, it would not work because of groove in blade. To get it to mount in the vise, it was the to low to get the 25 deg angle I was going for. Is there any update info on swap out jaws for thicker, special applications. I was going to imbed pictures in post but it said 512k limit, that’s not a lot! How are you guys posting embedded pics? Attached is link to photo bucket.

Colin
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

With a typo, lol. 17 each side, 34. Used an angle cube. Never said I didn’t have one, I used it on the knives I could while hand sharpening with my basic whet stones. Had it once I had to get a set of spacers fabricated for my rsv mille r upright handlebars with an angled top triple tree. It’s a pretty common tool alongside a digital slide caliper, and maybe mine isn’t overly accurate, as it was a $25 one, I’m sure you guys use much more accurate tools. And like you said, without a base, my hands and slow stropping motion (what is the term you guys use for the passes?) Were the only stability, so I can’t be certain of my angles yet, but I did see a video a while ago explaining why the angle cube was a good idea due to the clamp not holding blades at the correct angle, so I think I’m in the ballpark, but obviously still an utter newbie.

Anonymous
    Inactive

every stone you load on a rod will change the angle slightly, that’s why there are micro adjustments. the stones are close in height but all different. also how deep in the vise will effect the angle. you cant go by the degree notches on the degree bar. they only get you close. most important is developing a burr. Once the burr is establish along the whole edge, you can then work the other side.. you can then develop a burr on the opposite edge, and then start to work both side of the bevel . The technique is the real ticket…the machine allows you to repeat that technique with no guess work.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I did my Fallknive A1 again. Just a little touchup with the ceramic stones and then some stropping. Worked beautifully!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Mark, Is the A1 a convex edge like the F1?  If so how to do sharpen it initially?  And what do you do for touch ups?  I got a F1 recently, still sharp and I like the factory edge, angle seems OK and the bevel is pretty even so I don’t see doing a re-profile any time soon.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Merry Christmas all.  A safe and joyous holidays to you all.

The Wicked Edge sharpener, this forum and the encyclopedic knowledge and abundant wisdom of the people involved have been a daily gift.  Thank you all.

I’ve sharpened several different families’ holiday cutlery and came down to yesterday and had some time for me!!

I’ve got the ProPack II with “just” the standard steel, stone & leather.  And, no, I wouldn’t classify or try to qualify for the “Mirror Edge Forum” but this baby looks great and cuts better.  My current EDC is a CRKT Viele 8001 WASP.

The details:

• Blade Overall length: 2.87 (7.3 cm)
    • Cutting edge: 2.75 (7.0 cm)
    • Thickness: 0.12 (0.3 cm)
    • Steel: AUS 118, 59-60 HRC
    • Handle Closed length: 4.00 (10.2 cm)
    • Weight: 2.5 ounces (71 g)
    • Scales are G10, in a custom laminate of alternating blue and black fiberglass

The knife is discontinued but I know there are a couple in stock at a place in downtown Seattle or via their website.

(http://www.gr8gear.com/columbia-river-8001-viele-wasp-medium-plain-folding-knife.html#.Vn1JthUrLIU )

I only “matched” the angle using a Sharpie.  It’s down around 15 degrees per side and makes a nice box cutter, letter opener, tag remover.

I also, ever-so-slightly rounded just about every edge on it, including the clip, pivot and thumbstud.  Now it’s a bit more pocket & finger friendly.

Now, please don’t expand the photos too much or you’ll see how NOT mirror the edge actually is.

CRKT-Viele-8001-WASP

Happy Holidays, everyone.

For Now,

Gib

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Just built my WEPS yesterday.  It was completely disassembled for moving.  Touching up some Wusthof kitchen knives today.  Did these at 20 dps and have touched them up before.  May try a micro bevel this time.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yes Geo, the blade of the A1 is fully convex, too. Sharpening the edge is not too difficult (also not a convex edge), but I’m nog looking forward to a completely reprofile…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I just touched up my Spyderco Manix 2. I’ve been carrying it for a while now while I’m waiting for a new clip for my ZT0770 to come in. I really like this knife, enjoy using it as an EDC. These last few weeks it’s seen very heavy use while I was redoing all the trim and baseboards at home and also making some furniture from reclaimed pallet wood. I used the knife to trim wood, mark cuts etc… and managed to get it a little dull. Now it’s back to being aggressively sharp at 17 dps and sharpened to 400# diamond followed by a little time with the Micro-Fine stones.

Spyderco Manix 2

Spyderco Manix 2
    17 DPS
    400# diamond followed by the Micro-Fine stones.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.