Advanced Search

What are you sharpening today?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat What are you sharpening today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

ET has been wanting more participation on the forum.  I am starting this thread to help generate some activity.

So what are you sharpening today on the WEPS?  Just a wide open thread.

For me I just got my first CRK Sebenza, a small sebenza 25.  I am wondering how others deal with the long thumb stud that won’t come out?  Most of my knives are Benchmade.  In the beginning I taped them, after rubbing through the tape I just started removing them.  That being said the bevels look perfect and the angle probably where I want it though it could go more acute.

I am especially interested in what Clay is sharpening (and on what  WE model).

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

He Geo! Today I’m sharpening a Gerber DMF that was sent in by a customer from San Francisco. He’s giving it as a gift this Christmas and asked for the following:

I’d like to get the basic level for this model which I believe will be enough for the plain edge only, also I want to point out an issue with it which I feel it should be an easy fix.

The point of the knfie is rounded and I don’t feel comfortable with it, having said that I’d like it to be point and sharp too, if you consider that it will not be enough or the best choice going for the basic level and you consider it would need the advanced on please do so and notify me.

And by all means, keep the original angle of the knife too. Thanks!

So this is a new knife, moderately sharp and definitely does have a rounded tip. It’s a coated blade which is going to limit how I can attack establishing a new tip since I’d normally take some metal from the spine, but I don’t want to remove the coating there so I’ll have to do the reshaping all from the edge side of the blade. My plan is to tape up the blade and the folding mechanism and then mount it up in the G3 Pro. Once I’ve found the sweet spot and matched the angle, I’ll flatten the edge toward the tip until it meets the spine at a nice point. Then I’ll start to sharpen the whole thing, ending with the 1000# stones and a few light passes with the 5.0/3.5 strops to finish it off.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Clay, I know you are a busy guy, but would be good to see the before photo of this customer’s knife, and then the after shot… Photos add a lot to a forum, as I’ve said before. they can be inspiring to a new W.E. user, and even more to a potential customer.

Also going forward. photos would be even better if the  angle data and bevel profile were included.

Finally , thanks Geo, for the New thread….

Today, I sharpened my mind, a little.<b></b><i></i><u></u>

Bill aka ET

wickededge
    Keymaster

Okay, here is a before picture:

Gerber DMF - Before

Gerber DMF – Before Sharpening

Gerber DMF – After Sharpening

Gerber DMF – After Sharpening

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I matched the 15 dps bevel that the knife had and I worked it with the 100#-1000# diamonds, then both sets of ceramics and then the 14/14 micron strops. I really liked the edge at that point so I didn’t go to any finer strops.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, I had a major boo-boo. Although I was very diligent about taping the blade (since it was coated and serrated) one errant stroke with the 100# diamonds went right through the tape to find a couple of the teeth on the serrated portion:

All Taped Up

Here’s the major boo-boo.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I was gonna say, that ain’t no 1k grit edge! lol.

Clay, call me and I would be happy to go over w/ you how to take care of that serrated portion…if you haven’t figured out what you are gonna do yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Not as good as the Master, but not too shabby for an old guy with 10 days experience with this wicked edge system.. just did this tonight  Angle @ 13.5 * dps. Final with leather strops and #50K diamond paste

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

ET, thats a good looking job on the ZT. Looks like you’re an old hand at this already. Even better, it speaks not only of your skill but of the ease of use of the WE system. It may look complicated to the masses, but its really very simple to use if one understands just a few basic things about sharpening.
    Great job.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I sharpened my Delica 4 in ZDP last night and (probably for the first time) really put some effort into the finishing; all the way to 0.1 micron film.  I was astounded at how sharp it ended up.  I usually use it to unzip envelopes – a practice not really intended to test the edge – but this time it slices them open… silently.

FWIW; 19 dps

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

As an experiment, I recently bought an el cheapo straight razor, just so I could try sharpening it on my WEPS.  Well, it wasn’t a razor; it’s a knife, with the same knife edge you’d expect from an el cheapo knife company.  The edge was about 0.025 thick at the bevels, which were about 20 dps.  Good razors are close to foil thickness at the edge.  I measured about 5 dps to be the correct angle for normal straight razor stoning on this one.  I spent about 7 hours in three different sessions before giving up, as the edge would not take a proper form.  As much as I tried to keep the coarse grit stones from the apex, the steel would break out when I got near it.  As the bevels were by then about 5-6mm wide, it would take days to remove the broken edge with finer grit stones.  Also, to avoid removing the thickness at the spine, I had chosen 5.6 dps, which meant that eventually using normal SR stoning would be impossible.

To make things worse, I suffered a minor catastrophe while stoning with my 400’s.  Apparently a piece of diamond grit came loose (or I knocked off a piece of a file from the cheap blade steel) while I was scrubbing and it proceeded to scratch up the face of the stone badly.  All for a $7 knife.  Curiosity and the cat, eh wot?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Last night I sharpened my Tadafusa santoku. It’s a Christmas present for my brother-in-law. I finished the knife with my Chosera 10K’s, so it’s got a nice polished edge…

I forgot to take a photograph while it was still in the WEPS, but here’s an older photograph I took of the knife.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Great looking knives ET and Mark.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, pretty decent edge for a newbie, Bill 😀 😉 . The smileys are not very distinct on this forum, but the last one is a wink smile 😉 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice work ET.  is that dust on the blade?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.