Advanced Search

What angle do you consider a blade sharpened at…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Thoughts/Theories/Science Related to Sharpening What angle do you consider a blade sharpened at…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Quick question…

If you have a blade that is ground 5° per side (see picture), and you sharpen it at an angle measured 20° from vertical (how it’s measured on the W.E.), do you consider the edge sharpened at 15° or 20° ? (Setting aside the ‘actual angle doesn’t matter’ argument.) I know you’d document it as being sharpened on the 20° setting, but what do you consider it sharpened at?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Grasshopper…  Why do you ask such questions?  You know more of angles than the master.

The apex will have an included angle of 40 degrees, so I consider it 20 dps.  The primary grind (whether 5 or 10 degrees included) is irrelevant when considering the sharpness of the edge.  Angles are always relative to the centerline plane of the blade.  Nicht wahr?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

Nicht wahr?

Jawohl. At least that is what I also believe.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks.  Measuring from the centerline is what I thought… then I was watching a video yesterday where it was being measured from the blade’s grind, and it kinda threw me, since I hadn’t really thought about it before.  Never hurts to ask. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.