Advanced Search

What am I doing wrong?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dbinthecountry
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I’ve only sharpened about 8 knives so far.  I have the Gen 3 pro.  I get the flat part of the blade nice and sharp.  However, the curved portion of the tip I’m having trouble with.  Any pointers would be great.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

If you’re having trouble reaching the bevel with the stones, try using a marker to help you be sure you’ve mounted the knife correctly to find the “sweet spot”. You may need to change the tilt of the knife slightly, heel down and tip up. If you’re reaching the bevel and just having trouble getting it as sharp as the flat portion then my thought is concentrate on your technique making sure your keeping the stone flat against the bevel through the entire range of motion as the stone slides up off the knife point being aware to keep it flat and not round off the tip.  Also and most important is it does takes time and practice to get a knife tip just right. It’s not easy, be patient. Hope this is helpful.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Make sure that you are raising that burr as well, the same on both sides of the blade all the way down. I have been fooled before concerning the burr until I started looking at it under magnification. Especially when the two bevels do not match because they were hand sharpened or sharpened on a belt sander or for what ever reason. Sometimes I thought I had a burr and when I started looking closer I was seeing that I was not getting all the way to the cutting edge, or apex, on one side. Leaving a little marker at or just under the cutting edge and if that happens as you go through the progression of stones that area will not be sharp or even look like a chip if the spot is small.

Also remember that on a knife that has a heavy belly in it, the belly is usually the part of the knife that will get the most use generally and thus wear down much more than the straight part of the blade.

On knives that are not worn evenly, I take a 400 or 600 stone and take the cutting edge down so everything is even and then profile until I get my burr on both sides and look very close for marker left behind, there should not be any anywhere.

Good luck my friend and let us know how it’s going.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

Good advise MarcH. You have helped me personally more than you know since I started down the rabbit hole.

dbinthecountry
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the advice guys.  I’ll keep practicing and work on my technique.  Been trying to round up old knives from my friends to practice on so I don’t mess up a nice knife.

sksharp
    Participant

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll keep practicing and work on my technique. Been trying to round up old knives from my friends to practice on so I don’t mess up a nice knife.

That is exactly what I did. I found every inexpensive and damaged knife that I could find and that is how I broke my stones in and worked out my techniques. My friends and family were so happy with them that their friends want me to work on their knives now, unfortunately I won’t have much time to work on them until I’m done working this summer. I wound up doing over 100 knives in a 2 1/2 month period so get ready for the flood. LOL

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll keep practicing and work on my technique. Been trying to round up old knives from my friends to practice on so I don’t mess up a nice knife.

That is exactly what I did. I found every inexpensive and damaged knife that I could find and that is how I broke my stones in and worked out my techniques. My friends and family were so happy with them that their friends want me to work on their knives now, unfortunately I won’t have much time to work on them until I’m done working this summer. I wound up doing over 100 knives in a 2 1/2 month period so get ready for the flood. LOL

You must be doing a great job for the word to spread so rapidly.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum dbinthecountry! Great you like your WEPS. And don’t hesitate to ask any more questions.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.