Advanced Search

WE Go, WE100?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started WE Go, WE100?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 37

Hi,

I am planning to get a WE Go/WE100PR1-2 – just want to confirm if they are using the “new” 2017 standard? I hope that no matter which system I use, I could use interchange stones without issue.

For WE Go, my setup will be: 200/600 (+ 800/1000 + 1500/Glass) all diamond

For WE100PR1-2, my setup will be: 100/200 + 400/600 (+ 800/1000 + 1500/Glass) all diamond

I have some experience in Edge Pro style sharpener (Hapstone) and freehand sharpening. I am able to put a working edge (slicing through paper) on the knives but not shaving sharp (scraping off skin mostly – inconsistent). I am looking towards getting better consistency and result. From what I see the “supersteel” (high vanadium et al, s30v, s35vn, XHP, ZDP189, s90v, s110v) should be good on the WE. Full Flat Grind should be okay as well.

I already have various kind of diamond, ceramic stone and strops for some final touch up. Please let me know if I missed anything, thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Welcome loremipsum, yes the stones both old and new are interchangeable and useable with all WEPS, any model or era.  The only thing you lack from your intended order, or at least, failed to mention, is possibly a strop pair.  The strops really bring out the sharpness of my edges,

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you very much. I think I have to order the Pro I after all.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hi loremipsum!

Since you’re already into sharpening and know that it is a hobby that you want to invest in, I would definitely opt for the WE100 over the GO. It will offer a path for upgrades if you decide that you want to add the new self centering clamp, and you’ll get the tighter progression of grits straight out of the box. The GO is intended to be ultra portable and offer good working edges, but I don’t think it’s really what you want if you’re after hair whittling sharp.

One thing to note is that the diamond abrasives will have a break-in period where they won’t preform as well as you might expect. For most people this is about 7-10 knives worth of sharpening. Once they are worn in, the edges get a lot better and you should have no problem getting shaving sharp results.

Another thing to consider is that technique still plays a significant part in the sharpening process with Wicked Edge products. You stated that you’ve used the Hapstone setup and never really obtained the results that you were after. That leads me to wonder if there’s something going on with your technique that is part of the equation. You are more than welcome to ask for tips and advice here on the forum if you have trouble getting results that make you smile. There are plenty of experienced sharpeners that are happy to share their knowledge.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

Since you’re already into sharpening and know that it is a hobby that you want to invest in, I would definitely opt for the WE100 over the GO. It will offer a path for upgrades if you decide that you want to add the new self centering clamp, and you’ll get the tighter progression of grits straight out of the box.

That being said, If you want the precise results your suggesting, I believe you’d be better off spending $50 more for the WE120 which allows for micro-angle adjustments, not possible with the WE100.  It’s is really an asset to the WEPS to be able to fine-tune it to the angle of your choosing. Other then that the WE100 and WE120 are the same.

Also I strongly agree with Organic that you should examine your methods or technique because your present system should allow better results than your achieving.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Loremipsum!

Since you’re already into sharpening and know that it is a hobby that you want to invest in, I would definitely opt for the WE100 over the GO. It will offer a path for upgrades if you decide that you want to add the new self centering clamp, and you’ll get the tighter progression of grits straight out of the box.

I totally agree with Organic and I think you made the right choice. That said, Marc also has a point about the WE120. I think part of it is also how much money you want to invest.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys!

Thank you for all the kind response. I am ordering the WE120 and will probably receive it this year’s end.

I am still trying to figure out how I can’t get a shaving sharp edge or hair splitting edge after I touch up the blades. I can sharpen all blade steels but they are not splitting hair. But they are all okay to cut paper and things. I believe getting the WE120 will allow me to have better insight into what went wrong (and more toys). I will be investigating whether the Nanocloths that I had been using is the issue – am making some baswood strops soon.

Here is my youtube channel about me disassembling knives and mumble about random stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/loremipsumprod

Have a nice day guys.

MarcH

FYI, Nanocloths are just another medium for stropping.  In my experience, stropping itself does make the blade smoother, shinier, sharper and cut better except it removes the wire edge which seems to me to be necessary to perform the HHT.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I honestly need to try. Michael Christy tested the Nanocloth and found that they are taking away the bite on the high vanadium steel edge. I already have some basswood marked and will cut them soon.

Thanks man.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

My experience is that the nanocloth itself does very little. It is with compounds that it gets its value.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Mark. Of course the compound is the thing that count, but the medium is very important as well. There are so many theories and real world scenario out there that just need to be compared. I just have time to test the Jende polydiamond on the basswood yesterday and is having good result. Still, it pointed to the fact that I am not finishing my edge well.

Looking frw to the WE.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I thought that in the present environment this was a pertinent thread. I really believe the GO is a better start (for a new user) than the WE100 and maybe a better option to start than the WE120!    Here’s why it’s my belief it may be the best option for anyone new to sharpening.

The GO will do everything and more than the 100 and the 120 in my opinion. You don’t need the micro adj. with the GO and it is just as versatile as the other two at a much lower cost. If in the future a new user decides they want to upgrade, it will more than likely be to a Gen 3 vise and the GO will still serve a purpose especially with small knives and certain drop points as well, due to the lower tighter arc with this sharpener.

The biggest surprise to me when I started using the GO, after using a 130 for almost a year, was that I actually have a practical use for it. I bought it as a curiosity because I deemed it interesting. I’ve found out that there are going to be advantages having the option of the GO in certain situations to go along with my 130.

The damn thing looks good packed and unpacked as well,  very well built and travels easier than one would have thought possible previously.

All of this is of course a mute point until the GO is available on a consistent basis. The 100 and 120 are good options in my opinion but don’t do anything the GO won’t,  plus they cost more up front and when you upgrade you still have just one platform when you could have two great platforms if you start with a GO.

Just food for thought.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Sksharp,

Thank you for the insight. I already ordered the WE120 and it should arrive next week. Since the WE Go is so affordable I may as well order a set when they are commonly available later.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So with delay, I will be getting my WE two days later, and I am anxious to try it out.

Never thought that I will be this excited with a sharpening system 🙂

4 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Glad to hear your wait is all most over!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.