Advanced Search

WE F&S Pro or Gen 3 Pro

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started WE F&S Pro or Gen 3 Pro

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dingle1911
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

WE Community, I have not joined your ranks yet. I am looking into purchasing my first sharpener. I am torn between the Generation 3 Pro or the Field and Sport Pro. From what I have read I think I have decided that I want the Gen 3 clamp. The difference between the systems seems to be how the sharpening angle is adjusted.

What else do you get for the $350? I was thinking that it might be better to get the F&S and get more stones.

Thanks for your help.

-Lee

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey Dingle1911,

This is a frequent type of question we see here.  Indeed, of the sharpeners offered by WE, it’s sometimes difficult to decide which is for you.  Of the two you mentioned, the F&S Pro is the more versatile, in that it can sharpen a blade up to 35 degrees (for mounting 5/8″ above the jaws), whereas the Gen 3 Pro is limited to 27 degrees.  The F&S Pro is lighter and easier to move around.  The Gen 3 Pro is heavy, needs no c-clamp, and is better suited on a bench.  The Gen 3 Pro is faster to set up angles for a given blade to sharpen.

If you plan to travel with your WEPS, the F&S Pro might be a better option for you.  If you don’t have a need to sharpen above 27 degrees, and want a system that is heavy duty and fast to set up, then the Gen 3 Pro might be for you.

For me, I’ve had my Gen 3 Pro for over a year now, and have never had second thoughts.  I still love using it as much today as I did when I first received it.

If you do a lot of reading here, I’m sure the answer to your question will come to you, if it hasn’t already.

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I cannot answer this for you, particularly not the difference in price. But if  were to buy the WE from scratch again I’d definitely buy the gen 3. Such built quality, so small, so user-friendly…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.