Advanced Search

Video Comparison of Old v. 2017 Gen. 3 Clamps

Recent Forums Main Forum Video Comparison of Old v. 2017 Gen. 3 Clamps

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Snecx
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 56

Hi Clay, I took mine apart to oil it today. It seemed that half of the cam has the bead blasted finish and I think that could be the culprit. Only half of the cam is polished.

It is just a guess based on what I’ve observed, I could be wrong. But I’ve had stainless parts rust on me once bead blasted and it’s a very common problem in finishing.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Clay, I took mine apart to oil it today. It seemed that half of the cam has the bead blasted finish and I think that could be the culprit. Only half of the cam is polished. It is just a guess based on what I’ve observed, I could be wrong. But I’ve had stainless parts rust on me once bead blasted and it’s a very common problem in finishing.

Is yours a 2017 model that’s fully enclosed?

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, that is a great video and an awesome sharpener. I am looking more and more to my Gen 3 2017 Pro .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

Snecx has the new 2017 Gen 3 Pro, yes.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Snecx
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 56

Yes Clay, I got the 2017 Gen 3 Pro, and I haven’t used it yet! All new and I’m just going through the entire system, preparing it for upcoming work. I’ve oiled mine so I think it should stay rust free.

It’s just that I have experience with machine shop settings where even SS316/304 can rust after glass bead blasting. It doesn’t even have to be really wet for it to happen.

Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 51

I just sharpened a ZT450 through the 10,000 chosera stones. Upon completion, I disassembled the vice and found no water or slurry on the cam, or inside the vice for that matter.  I did not do anything different intentionally from the last time I used the choseras.  Unsure how I ended up with rust on the cam before.

That said, I did warm the cam up and apply Frog Lube and let it cool.  Hopefully that prevents rust from showing its head again.  I will also disassemble the vice following use of water stones every time.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.