Advanced Search

Upgrading my vise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I still have my original vise, which I think I bought in 1012. I must say that from the pictures it looks a lot like the WE 100.

I do however have the ball joints and the new degree bar.

My question is what do I need to upgrade to the WE 103 vise. I assume I need:

• The vise. Does this come with the part that holds the vise?
    • The new angle adapter. Although, is there any reason the old angle adapter doesn’t work? If it does, could I get a double range extension by using both adapters? This would be useful for me, since I do a lot of Japanese knives that benefit from very low angles.

Is this correct? And does it address everything I need?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant

Anyone from Wicked Edge who can answer this question?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You purchased your vice in 1012? Man, that’s likely the oldest WE in existence!

Organic
    Participant

On a more serious note, I think this is the kit you need (from the 2017 upgrades thread):

• Convert pre-2017 WE120 or Pro-Pack II to 2017 WE130 – includes 2017 Generation 3 Vise, new degree bar, and 10″ guide rods. Price $260.00
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Mark:

I have an old LAA and it won’t fit in the Gen 3 vises without some modifications.  The new vise jaws are wider than the old ones, so the side guides have to be removed.  I haven’t done it yet and don’t know if the corner pads in the vise will grasp the narrow LAA properly.  I’ll have to check.  If not, then a new LAA would be the only answer.

The reason I haven’t tackled this yet is that I still have the old vise mounted on a paper stone base, so all I have to do is move the arm assemblies ove to the old rig.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

On a more serious note, I think this is the kit you need (from the 2017 upgrades thread):

• Convert pre-2017 WE120 or Pro-Pack II to 2017 WE130 – includes 2017 Generation 3 Vise, new degree bar, and 10″ guide rods. Price $260.00

Thanks! That sounds indeed like what I need. Where did you find it on the site? I cannot find it.

And do I need a new degree bar? When I got the ball joints I also got a new degree bar.

Mark76
    Participant

Where did you find it on the site? And do I need a new degree bar? When I got the ball joints I also got a new degree bar.

I found it on the site. There is a message saying that they will be listed asap: https://wickededgeusa.com/pages/upgrades-1

Kyle wrote a message about it on the forum: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/2017-upgrade-kits-have-arrived/

I do however still have the question whether I need the new degree bar, since I already got a new degree bar when I got the ball joints.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

How long are your current guide rods?  Since the upgrade kit comes with 10″ guide rods… I’m guessing the clamp is taller, which would require a new degree bar.

Mark76
    Participant

They are about 8 inch, so I understand the 10″ is a (possible) improvement. But what I don’t understand: how does the rod length impact their angle? I thought it doesn’t.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

They are about 8 inch, so I understand the 10″ is a (possible) improvement. But what I don’t understand: how does the rod length impact their angle? I thought it doesn’t.

Not the rod length,,, the taller clamp height would make the difference.

Organic
    Participant

This is purely speculation, but my guess is that the new degree bar wouldn’t do anything meaningful for you since you’re already ignoring the degree markings and measuring the actual angles with an angle cube. The markings on the new degree bar are calibrated for the height of the new clamp assembly and the bar itself may be slightly longer (allowing for more obtuse angles with the new taller clamp). If you don’t need the calibrated angles and don’t care about reaching all the way out to 35 degrees per side, it probably isn’t worth the money and perhaps you can call / email and get a customized order with only the items you would want. Like I said, this is purely speculation, so emailing Wicked Edge is the way to get the information you seek.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

This is purely speculation, but my guess is that the new degree bar wouldn’t do anything meaningful for you since you’re already ignoring the degree markings and measuring the actual angles with an angle cube. The markings on the new degree bar are calibrated for the height of the new clamp assembly and the bar itself may be slightly longer (allowing for more obtuse angles with the new taller clamp). If you don’t need the calibrated angles and don’t care about reaching all the way out to 35 degrees per side, it probably isn’t worth the money and perhaps you can call / email and get a customized order with only the items you would want. Like I said, this is purely speculation, so emailing Wicked Edge is the way to get the information you seek.

I sent them an email already but also wanted you guys’ opinion. But don’t misunderstand me: sometimes I use an angle cube, but most of the time I don’t. So the 2017 upgrade, including the degree bar, seems like a good option.

Joseph Mann
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Apologize if I sound silly.  I have a similar set up to the gentleman above.  Walking through the upgrade tool on the site I have two options.

WE130UP3 and the WE130UP1   331/261 us dollars.

What am I buying?  What will improve?  Will I sharpen faster and more precise?

Is one better than the other considering the considerable price difference and just over all cost.  That is a lot of knives to sharpen!!

Signed,

Stuck in Lodi.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Joseph, welcome, the WE130UP1 for $70 less does not include the mini “L” brackets and locking knobs.  These allow you to make precise micro-adjustments on your sharpening angle settings.  If you don’t have the adjustable “L” brackets and only have the original (1st Version) Fixed “L”bracket/ball joints,  then yes, this option will allow for more precise angle adjustment and allow you to precisely set both bevel side angles to be exactly the same.

The more adjustments you can make the more precisely and repeatable your sharpened knives will be.  But it may take a little longer for you to set-up your angles because you have more precise adjustments to make.  Once you are sharpening it won’t be any faster.  The tension adjustable vice and jaws which are the same vice and included in both these upgrades is the real time saver making clamping a simple quick job and easily repeated exactly the same way.  This vice is great and it eliminates the clamping lean associated with the older screw version vice.  All the other included parts are exactly the same in both upgrades.

If you don’t have the micro adjustable “L” brackets and ball joints, at all, or if you do have them and yours are worn, the adjustment screws threads are buggered from the old thumb screw press locking mechanism or sticking from years of metal abrasives collecting in them then go for the new ones.  There has been design improvements made in Wicked Edge Products over the years.  The WE130UP3  upgrade converts your system into the latest and best system available, with the ability to sharpen the greatest variety of knives and other cutting implements, including uneven bevel knives.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Joseph Mann
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such comprehensive message!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.