Advanced Search

Tormek SVX-150 Scissor Attachment Mod

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Tormek SVX-150 Scissor Attachment Mod

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    darkzero
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

Here’s a scissor attachment that I came up with & wanted to share. I’m quite happy with the way it came out & it works great! I modified a Tormek SVX-150 scissor sharpening attachment.

It’s fully adjustable for angle. I opted to keep both clamps in case I ever need to sharpen very long shears which I doubt. It can be used in left or right hand configurations.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    darkzero
    Participant

WIP pics.

Here’s what I started out with.

First shortened the back plate & cleaned up the sides.

Then squared up the back edge of the clamp assy.

Drilled clearance holes for the mounting bolts & threaded the clamp assy. The machined bolt is used for locating center.

Milled the back plate for clearance for the top clamps.

Bolted together, this part is complete.

Next started working on the mounting bracket, made from Al6061.

Drilled & bored for the mounting shaft.

Threaded for shaft set screws.

Milling out where the SVX-150 will go.

Rounded the corners.

The shaft, made out of O1 drill rod. Flats milled for the set screws.

Bracket completed.

Finally, made a couple of delrin bushings & done.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Wow.  Very impressive work.  You sure do have a nice set of machine tools.

Alan

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Nicely done! It requires too many specialized tools for me to try and do the same, but the final product looks really good. I’d love to see a demo video of you using it and some before/after results. Thanks for sharing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Wowza!!    

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Yes, truly amazing metal fabrication Darkzero, that design looks robust and super functional. Patent it?  Just a thought…

darkzero
    Participant

Thanks everyone! Patent? No can do. All I did was make a bracket. Can’t patent a product that I didn’t make/design (Tormek). 

Unfortunately I haven’t got into making videos yet so not this time. It’s pretty straight forward though. Clamp the scissor blade, use the large middle knob to angle the clamp in the ball park area, then use the arm & microadjust for final adjustment.

I didn’t actually sharpen those orange scissors yet. They don’t come apart but it’s still perfectly doable. I sharpened a pair of scissors that’s been sitting in the kitchen drawer that were really dull for as long as I can remember. That pair was able to be disassembled & has serrations on one edge, sharpened up just fine, quick & easy too.

I didn’t bother trying to put a mirror edge on it. I just stopped at the 1K diamonds. That’s probably as far as I will go for any pair of scissors I sharpen. I don’t own any high end shears.

I’ll snap some more pics on the next one I sharpen.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Actually, you can get a patent on an improvement of an existing patented device if your improvement is novel and beneficial.  You just can’t sell the improvement without a license to use the original patented idea.  It does, however, prevent others from selling your improvement without a license to use your patent.  Not likely here.  Not unique enough and not enough demand.

Added comment:  If Tormek does not have a patent or an application for a patent on that device, you’d be free to copy and sell their design with or without your improvement.  For that matter, you could buy the clamp assemblies from Tormek and sell them with your upgrade.  They’d probably like you more.

I did a simple search and while Tormek has some US patents, I don’t see one for the scissors version.  They may have one in Europe.

If you’re curious, you can look at their patent for the small knife adapter (USPTO #<b>9,186,767 B2</b>) that many of us use.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

man oh man that is one nice set up you have there and some great how to  pictures……………$$$$ to duplicate for most of us.

i like it, but i also have a question not related to the scissor clamp.

i want to upgrade this week to the newer vise like u have – you love it?  i have pro pk 2 now and have a big event coming up with no electricity so i will have to use my WE….i may even leap to the Gen. 3 set up if available for shipment.

thanks.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Awesome Idea!  Looks good!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

darkzero
    Participant

Thanks!

i want to upgrade this week to the newer vise like u have – you love it? i have pro pk 2 now and have a big event coming up with no electricity so i will have to use my WE….i may even leap to the Gen. 3 set up if available for shipment. thanks.

To be honest I do like it but I don’t love it. I like that it’s quick & easy to clamp blades. What I don’t like the most is the recess on the inside of the jaws. Not sure what the reason for it is but I prefer it not to have the recess. I also don’t like that the jaws are so wide but that I can live with.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.