Advanced Search

Tool stand DIY

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Tool stand DIY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Roper
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

Not a knife photo but one of a tool stand I made for my diamond stones. Simple walnut  with brass 1/4 inch rods. It keeps the work space neat and orderly.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That’s awesome, I had another forum member make me one similar to that a few years back and I still use it every day! Mine has several rows though =) It does work super well, the only thing I don’t use it for is strops because I don’t want any cross contamination. Thanks for sharing!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Very nice job, Roper.  I like the way you position the stones, as in lower grits on outside, one each of grits to the left and right of blade.  Keeps you from reaching over the blade.  I do this too, except my stones are just laying flat on the table.  Nice job there!

Alan

2 users thanked author for this post.
    driwash2
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 15

Very nice set-up.  What is the spacing from rod to rod?  I would like to make one like that also.

Roper
    Participant
    • Topics: 3

Center to center is 1.5 inches…

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Very similar to mine, where I too used a 1.5 inch spacing.  My pins are 1/4″ aluminum.  I never thought of the outside-to-inside progression.  Very clever.  I’ll have to try it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s an awesome stand! Mine are still in a (Plano) box…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Very similar to mine, where I too used a 1.5 inch spacing. My pins are 1/4″ aluminum. I never thought of the outside-to-inside progression. Very clever. I’ll have to try it.

I can tell that you have a scientific background because you use an HP calculator with RPN input. You don’t see those every day.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Actually, I have two of them; an HP11C and an HP15C.  When HP came out with the HP35 back in the ’70’s, we had to learn RPN and now everyone who did so prefers it to the algebraic versions you get today.  The new calculators are so cheap that I’ve got at least 4 laying around the house and shop, but if one of the HP’s are within reach I’ll toss the new ones aside.  I think the HP’s go for a good price on EBay.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

RPN, hahah. I had to learn that for certain calculations when do a computer science subject…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

G-MAN
    Participant
    • Topics: 2

What’s the story on the (non-WE) handles you use for your lapping films?

tcmeyer
    Participant

I guess this one’s for me.

A long time ago, I decided to upgrade my handles to Oilite bronze bushings to reduce the amount of angular error.  It worked out really well, so since I had a fixture built for the conversion, I was converting everything I had.  This was before WE offered the glass platens, so I was kind of on the leading edge there.  I started out with maple, then Garolite (from McMaster) and finally ABS plastic.  The ABS turned out to be the nicest version, but then I had some problems with glass platens scratching the knives (couldn’t seem to get the edge polishing right), so I switched to brass and it seemed to be the cat’s ass.

Since I don’t have a machine-shop level of equipment (I have wood-working gear) the level of accuracy I can achieve is limited, so I use the Variable Stone Thickness Adapters to hit exact angles.  The result, however, is that there is zero detectable slop between the rods and the handles and I can hit angles within < 0.1 degree.   Wipe the rods down with alcohol about once a month and they’re slicker than snail snot.

I’ve shared the bushing conversion with a few other forum members, but I think it is beyond most of their abilities.  Cliff Curry  has what is probably an easier solution.  Clay has talked about selling an upgraded version of the handles, but nothing so far,

2 users thanked author for this post.
    G-MAN
    Participant
    • Topics: 2

Thanks for the detailed explanation!  The bushing conversion is beyond my abilities as well, but it is nice to learn about your cutting edge set-up.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I guess this one’s for me. A long time ago, I decided to upgrade my handles to Oilite bronze bushings to reduce the amount of angular error. It worked out really well, so since I had a fixture built for the conversion, I was converting everything I had. This was before WE offered the glass platens, so I was kind of on the leading edge there. I started out with maple, then Garolite (from McMaster) and finally ABS plastic. The ABS turned out to be the nicest version, but then I had some problems with glass platens scratching the knives (couldn’t seem to get the edge polishing right), so I switched to brass and it seemed to be the cat’s ass. Since I don’t have a machine-shop level of equipment (I have wood-working gear) the level of accuracy I can achieve is limited, so I use the Variable Stone Thickness Adapters to hit exact angles. The result, however, is that there is zero detectable slop between the rods and the handles and I can hit angles within < 0.1 degree. Wipe the rods down with alcohol about once a month and they’re slicker than snail snot. I’ve shared the bushing conversion with a few other forum members, but I think it is beyond most of their abilities. Cliff Curry has what is probably an easier solution. Clay has talked about selling an upgraded version of the handles, but nothing so far,

Tom,

We’re still working on this and will eventually release something…

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

I noticed the discussion on HP calculators. For you iphone users there is an app for the HP 41 cx calculator. It is one of my favorite apps.

Here is a link:

http://alsoftiphone.com/i41CX/

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.