Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great edge! Congrats!!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Here is the ZT Strider 0301 Collaboration: Blade: S30V stainless-steel Tungsten DLC coating with Tiger Stripes. 4.25″ blade length. 0.156″ thick. Scales: 3-D machined G-10 and titanium in Ranger Green. Pocket clip: Reversible, removable to tip-up or tip-down carry. Closed: 5.25″ Weight: 8.6 oz. Sharpened on Wicked Edge with the following progression at 19 degrees per side: Shapton – 120#, 220#, 320#, 1000#, 1500#, 2000#, 5000#, 8000#, 15000# Strops – 1mµ mono diamond, .5mµ mono diamond, .25mµ mono diamond, .125mµ CBN, .050mµ poly diamond, .025mµ poly diamond

What stropping material did you use, Clay? And if it was leather, did you increase the angle when stropping (by how much)?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tactical Texture LLC
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 21

Great work! What knife is that, Josh?

This is actually an Inkosi.  You can tell by the floating pin (the one to the Right of the pivot).

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hinderer XM18 spanto at 15 dps

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Who says you can’t make money sharpening knives?  

Beautiful photos Josh.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FinalEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

What was the progression Josh?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

The reflection makes it look like you chopped up the pennies. Nice job.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hinderer XM18 spanto at 15 dps

That edge is ridiculous in multiple ways. It’s ridiculously highly polished and very well done. It’s also ridiculous that a customer would want an such a low angle edge on a knife designed for hard use. I understand that many of these end up as case queen knives, but it also just looks disproportionate and unattractive to me. I don’t get it. Regardless, it is flawlessly executed.

FinalEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

I know alot of my customers want the mirror polish edge look but want it to be for edc use so I add a micro bevel.

Snecx
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 56

It’s hard to capture mirror polish on camera, video is my best bet yet.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Is that Dexter, in the gloved hand, holding that knife. Sure is pretty!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ixstala
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Here is my latest and greatest. The knife is a Benchmade Stryker II (CPM-M4 steel) frankenstein-ed with a Triage in order to get one carbon fiber scale and one G10 scale with the strap cutter/glass breaker integrated into the back spacer. This knife is fabulous in so many ways, and not so fabulous in several as well (poor thumb ramp geometry).

I love the extra grip of the G10 and the utility of the strap cutter combined with the class of the carbon fiber. There was only one modification needed to the carbon fiber scale to make this work, and it was easily done with a hand drill.

In one of the photos you can see the reflection of my ceiling fan 10 feet away, it was hard to get my phone to focus properly while lining up the knife; cool silhouette none the less.

Cheers!

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That photo with the lamp is really cool! The stryker CPMM4 is on my wishlist of knives.

phptravels
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

Great looking results Josh! I’ve reached the same conclusions for mirror polish

Snecx
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 56

It has been a while since I whipped out this knife. Here is one of my best mirrored edge. Is this considered “scratchless”? I’m sure under extreme magnification this would appear scratched up too. When do we stop?

Finally I’m gonna be trying diamond lapping films next, so hopefully they will give me better results without the slight edge rounding.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.