Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah it looks great! Not hitting the serrations is a pain… I’ve often thought about some sort of clamp that you could use to create a stop to protect either serrations or the plunge line – but I’m clueless about such things!

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Hey Josh,

How about Binder clamps to either cover and protect the serrations, or as a stop

Clamp1
    Clamp2

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant

Hey Josh, How about Binder clamps to either cover and protect the serrations, or as a stop Clamp1 Clamp2

That’s a great idea! I think they would slide on the bare metal though… if you used them in conjuntion w/ tape or something they probably would work great though! You know that stickie pad people put in the dash of their car that is really like gel? I wonder if you could use them w/ that …

Josh
    Participant

Just finished this Spyderco Leafstorm up!

And my first file work =) not mirror related but I had to share!

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

edge looks great as always and the file work is looks pretty to me

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, the file work looks very good, too. Makes me think of Laguiole knives.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

That’s pretty sexy file work….  Very nice

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

That’s pretty sexy file work…. Very nice

Agreed 100%. I’ve personally never seen it randomly like that and find it extremely attractive.

Josh
    Participant

Thanks guys… and actually it was all done on my grinder, not with a file but it is the same thing nonetheless – I still have some refining to do but it is fun to play around with. I had several trials on scrap mild steel first believe me!

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Great job, Josh.  Love that file (grinder) work!  Totally custom.  What a great way to personalize a knife!  Better than a lasered name on the blade IMO.  So cool.

Alan

Josh
    Participant

Thanks everyone, for the encouraging words!

I feel like I’m hogging this thread but I’m just posting these up for people’s enjoyment and because I get these in waves… I actually hate mirroring edges and don’t do it on my own folders! Go figure! lol And in case anyone is wondering why I started watermarking my photos, it’s because of this thread 

Here’s a few I finished the other day, enjoy!

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I feel like I’m hogging this thread but I’m just posting these up for people’s enjoyment and because I get these in waves…

Please keep the photos coming!  All part of my enjoyment in visiting this forum!

I actually hate mirroring edges and don’t do it on my own folders! Go figure!  

I’m curious was to why you don’t like mirrored edges on your own folders?  Did you ever like them, and then just had a change of mind over time?  Or maybe you never liked them?

I have some higher end folders, like my newest, a Protech-Strider SNG collaboration.  I have yet to try my hand a putting a mirror edge on any knife, much less my higher end folders.  But, I thought one day I might try my hand at a mirrored edge on say, my Spyderco Tenacious, for instance.  I know that I do like a toothy edge, and when I finally do make a mirrored edge, I’ll likely microbevel it with something like a 600 or maybe 800 diamond stone.  I tend to like the mirrored edges, at least for now so far from all that I’ve seen anyway.

Alan

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great work again, Josh! I understand why you wouldn’t put such an edge on your own pocket knife. (But you may want to try one on a kitchen knife… well, ok, not on those either, but usually I put a finer edge on them than on a pocket knife). And isn’t that a Benchmade 940? That was one of my best pocket knives ever.

It’s ridiculous that you have to watermark your photographs, particularly for that reason. Well, just think that imitation is the highest form of flattery…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Sharing photos of the quality work shows the care and integrity in the work that your do, not to mention the beauty inspires others to push further to “be” better..at least it always has been that way for me.

Ive been doing alot of experimenting with mirror polishes, but on belt systems so haven’t posted them here because they arent WE polished(like the last damascus delica I did 100% by hand).

My dad taught me as a young kid early on not to cheat at games or sports because it takes an honorable victory(or defeat) and throws it away leaving you feel “all junk” inside.  Id simply feel sorry for the posers, if they weren’t falsely advertising a $$$ service.

Ive got a pair of boker kwaikens to mirror…someday Ill get them posted up. 😛

Josh
    Participant

I feel like I’m hogging this thread but I’m just posting these up for people’s enjoyment and because I get these in waves…

Please keep the photos coming! All part of my enjoyment in visiting this forum!

I actually hate mirroring edges and don’t do it on my own folders! Go figure!

I’m curious was to why you don’t like mirrored edges on your own folders? Did you ever like them, and then just had a change of mind over time? Or maybe you never liked them? I have some higher end folders, like my newest, a Protech-Strider SNG collaboration. I have yet to try my hand a putting a mirror edge on any knife, much less my higher end folders. But, I thought one day I might try my hand at a mirrored edge on say, my Spyderco Tenacious, for instance. I know that I do like a toothy edge, and when I finally do make a mirrored edge, I’ll likely microbevel it with something like a 600 or maybe 800 diamond stone. I tend to like the mirrored edges, at least for now so far from all that I’ve seen anyway.

Mirrored/highly polished edges work best with push cutting since they lack the slicing aggression a toothy edge does. Push cutting has very specific purposes in my opinion, such as in wood work, straight razor shaving, or certain food prep. But the way that most people (including myself) use our EDC knives is by slicing it through stuff. In this situation (99% of what I cut) a toothy edge works best =)

Combine that fact with the time/$ it takes to get there when I could slap up a toothy edge in a quarter or less of the time, it is a no brainer. An 800 grit edge will pop hairs off of your arm yet bite really deep, I like that 😀

Great work again, Josh! I understand why you wouldn’t put such an edge on your own pocket knife. (But you may want to try one on a kitchen knife… well, ok, not on those either, but usually I put a finer edge on them than on a pocket knife). And isn’t that a Benchmade 940? That was one of my best pocket knives ever. It’s ridiculous that you have to watermark your photographs, particularly for that reason. Well, just think that imitation is the highest form of flattery…

Well I can see how a mirrored edge would be good in the kitchen as I share the same sentiment that Clay does…  I think it was Clay who posted that highly polished edges don’t really do well unless you get to the 11-12 dps range. I’m not a professional cook (although watching them is quite interesting and fascinating!) so I would not use it properly anyway haha.

Yes, that is a Benchmade 940, good eye! It’s a great edc for sure, very popular over here.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.