Advanced Search

What are you useing? Strops or film or both

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives What are you useing? Strops or film or both

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mikeyv
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 10

Wanting to see who is useing strops, who is useing lapping film or who is useing both?? If u want to state why then go ahead but really just looking to compare how many people is useing each at this point in time.

driwash2
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 15

Using both with great results.

Mikeyv
    Participant
    • Replies: 10

Great. I’m very new to the weps and find this forum very very very useful. I’m starting off with just the film. Really just trying to get a consensus from the the veterans on here.  Thanks for your input.

driwash2
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 15

The more you use the W/E you will see how scary sharp a cutting edge can get.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I’m no veteran, but I have been using both the strops and the diamond films. There’s no doubt, the films bring out a high polish much faster than the strops do and it feels like the edge is sharper after using only the films. There are several threads on this forum about the effects of stropping that might be interesting reading if you’re trying to learn the differences. The bottom line seems to be this; strops will give you a slightly convexed bevel whereas the films leave the bevel flat.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    378pete
    Participant
    • Replies: 19

Just film, I find it easier. I don’t have to worry about cross contamination and the mess of the paste.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I use the films if looking for a visually polished edge. The strops I use to smooth the toothyness of the bevel. This stops the grab when slicing paper and I believe the edge feels sharper when stropped.

I agree, I also have found the diamond films polish an edge up quicker. Films are also cleaner to use. You don’t have to clean off any compound from the edge.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Film only for me.  Sold my strops some time ago.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I use mainly lapping film but will use strops for “convexed” bevels.  The film is easy to use, clean, and the results are consistently reliable.  The strops still have a place in the line up but for specific purposes.  The lapping film is a “game changer”.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use both, but since the films were sold, I use them far more. Fast and very consistent.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

SDMF74
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 9

My F&S Pro will be here 2morrow. I am trying to decide on what extra paddles to buy. I want to know if I can go from the thousand grit diamonds to 1500 grit diamonds then to 5 micron lapping & finally 1 micron lapping. Is that a good progression?

Also are the aluminum oxide lapping films any good?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

My F&S Pro will be here 2morrow. I am trying to decide on what extra paddles to buy. I want to know if I can go from the thousand grit diamonds to 1500 grit diamonds then to 5 micron lapping & finally 1 micron lapping. Is that a good progression? Also are the aluminum oxide lapping films any good?

1000# to 1500# is a good progression. I haven’t gone from 1500# to 5 micron, but I have gone from 1500# to 6 micron with good results so I think that should be no problem. The jump from 5 micron directly to 1 micron might be a bit too much of a change. My progression usually goes from 6 micron to 3 micron and then 1.5 micron.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I agree with organic. 1000 to 1500 is a good progression. Also you can go from 1500 grit to 6 micron film without problems, but I wouldn’t go from 6 micron to 1 micron diamond film: that’s a big too leap.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.