Advanced Search

Stroke Number Stone cleaning where 2 buy knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Stroke Number Stone cleaning where 2 buy knives

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I watched the keith parker video, he says to do 200 strokes per side. To many?

Where can I buy a box of knives cheap to practice on?

Do the diamond stones last about 10,000 strokes?

How do you clean the stones?  Erasure? soak the whole thing under water?  Spray the stone with windex then rinse with water?

So whats the deal with the arm slop?  The unit  ( 3 ) looks perfect, except the slop in the stones/arm!  Why make s such a perfect system and not fix that?

I’ve been to flea markets, discount stores , salvation army, its hard to find cheap pocket knives, where can you find them? LOL

And I would like to thank the kindness between the various manuf.’s.  None seem to bash one another, and thats nice.

also, has anyone purchased one of those scientific knife sharpness devices?  Was wondering how to determine how sharp a knife is, without it being subjective.  It seems if you hold any paper properly almost any knife will cut it.

How bad is using your knife on paper? Does that dull it quickly?

Thank you all for another obsessive hobby I can pursue!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, NotVerySharp!
    – 10,000 strokes, I wouldn’t be sirprised. But a LONGG time.
    – Clean the stones with a toothbrush and a cleaner. Bar tenders friend is a propular cleaner here.
    – What do you mean by arm stop?
    – I don’t live in the US, but to find cheap knives, how about flee markets or Wall Mart?
    – Thanks. We try to keep the atmosphere very positive here. Everybody wants to help ano-another. So if you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
    – What is a scientific sharpness device? I’d avoid the automatic ones, unless you really know what you do (and even then…). There have been many topics here on how to determine how sharp a knife is. If you want to go for the “scientific method” that involves building your own device. See various topic on this forum. If you want to go for the easy option: starting with you finger knife, go along with Murray Carter’s three finger test. And then copy paper, newspapers, even finder paper, ending with toilet paper.
    – Knife dulling on paper. It depends on the knife of course, but given any quality knife: no.

Success with your WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.