Advanced Search

I tried to add a photo

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos I tried to add a photo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

It didn’t work so I will try again.

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

I think the problem is that the forum doesn’t recognize .PNG format. I had to convert the photos to .jpg.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Sorry for the frustration! I’ll send you a PM, or feel free to post the error message you saw here, and I’ll try to track it down. PNG files should work, so I want to figure it out.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

There was no error message.  I inserted them into the post and they didn’t display.  If you look at the Stacking photos on iPhone thread you will notice at the bottom there is a .png and .jpg version of the stack 04 photo. Only one displayed.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

I emailed with Bill to troubleshoot; just sharing my summary note…

I do see what you’re describing, where the .jpg version is appearing but the .png version isn’t, and I really appreciate you raising the issue. I’m not able to say exactly what’s going wrong, after looking into it.
    The forum does allow .png files, and I tested uploading a couple, including yours, and it worked ok.
    So, I’m afraid I have the un-satisfying reply right now that I’m not sure what it was, but I’ll keep watching it, and please email me if you hit this issue again. My only working theory was that the sum of the file sizes (attachments) exceeded some maximum, but that doesn’t make sense to me because the files just aren’t that large.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What to do to upload a picture:

• Click on “select file”
    • Select a file from your hard disk
    • You will see a small version of the image below the message
    • Click on “Insert into content”

You will see some code in your message, but once you’ve published your message, this will be replaced by the photo. See here:

Johan_0017

However, PNG files are rather large. The original PNG picture I wanted to upload was 25MB (it was rather large). By reducing it to 1500×1024 I managed to reduce the file size to 3.2MB. The maximum file size you can upload here is 5MB, if I am not mistaken.

In general I’d advise you to upload a good quality JPG photo. They are of good quality and pretty small.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.