Advanced Search

Spyderco seconds sale–What should I look for?

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Spyderco Spyderco seconds sale–What should I look for?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I have never owned a Spyderco before. I am going to change that this weekend when a friend and I are heading to Golden Co where Spyderco is and I am going to pick up a knife.

I have never been much of a fan of how they looked. And I am kind of addicted to the ken onion assisted opening. But I want to give one a whirl. They have all kinds of steel and such.

Any suggestions on what I should look for when I am there? I believe this is their seconds or blemished items sale.

I would like to get of of their flippers if the price is right..but I doubt they will have those there. So I am looking for suggestions on a steel type.

I have tried s30V, and the 14C28N Steel and the vandas 4 extra and what ever the classic buck folder is made of. So I am looking for something different. I sure love their limited run tanto! Again..doubt there will be any of them there and no way can I afford new.

Are their kitchen knives any good?

Anywhoo.. looking for suggestions of what to look for.

Thanks!
    -Eric

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If you don’t already have a ZDP-189, you gotta try it. 😛

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Well, if you can afford it keep an eye out for a Gayle Bradley (full size) which sports m4 steel at about 62-63 hrc. it is a great gentlemen’s folder that is designed for hard use.

but if you just want a simple work horse/spyderco intro knife, look for a delica. great little knife! Keep in mind that you may have to go through a few sharpening sessions to see it’s true edge retention potential to remove any damaged steel at the very edge from the factory sharpening… as is the case w/ most knife companies.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

almost forgot to mention… even above both of those two knives you HAVE to get a paramilitary 2!!! it is one of the best EDC knives ever made!!!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Yay! Waited for 3.5hrs in line but now I have some Spyderco Knives and some different steel to play with!

zdp189 with 420J2 clad over the ZDP except for right at the edge. Kinda neat Carbon handle and deep carry clip
    CTS-XHP on carbon fiber/titanium Domino flipper
    Paramilitary 2 with CPMs30V
    CPM Cruwear on a G10 millitary
    full ZDP189 stretch

Happy Camper!

thanks for the suggestions fellers! I sure was trying to find that gale Bradley but no luck. I was super lucky to get the flipper. One of the folks working the sale brought it to me when someone that had it in their basket decided not to keep it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.