Advanced Search

Spyderco PM2

Recent Forums Main Forum Spyderco PM2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi guys.

Bought myself Spyderco paramilitary  2 today and so far I am very happy with it.

Question is, it is super sharp, shaves push cuts phone book  paper, and cuts anything it its path, super sharp.

I as of yet have not looked into the blade geomatary of this knife but I’d like to know what finish the factory puts on their blade as I would like o match this performance.   It looks like it might be 800 -1000 grit finish but just want to check with you guys to see if anyone knows.

No micro bevel is on the knife when looking under a scope or loop.

Any ideas guys, I can’t access the blade data Base on this site.

Cheers guys

Steve

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

The PM2 is a FFG blade with what I believe is a 15 degree bevel.  Don’t know the final grit used, but yes, I too would say 1000 would be a pretty good guess.

I have several of them, but most of them are all safe queens at this time.  My favorite (which I have) is the Bento Box blue M390….yep, it’s in the safe with the rest of `em.

The only one I have that I actually use is the “blurple” S110V.  I have yet to sharpen it.  I’m still cutting cardboard with it. I can’t believe how long this S110V has lasted.  One of these days it will finally get dull and I’ll enjoy sharpening it with my Gen 3 Pro.

Alan

Joe_Manco
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I can tell you that the angle is somewhere closer to 20dps as I have reprofiled a few to 18dps and 15dps  and I’m always making the factory bevel more acute.  I’m pretty sure they try to make them just under 20dps so you can resharpen them on the 40° inclusive setting on their sharpmaker.

Steve
    Participant

Hey Cheers thanks guys for your comments so far.

I’ll have a play with it whalebone it looses it’s edge and see what bevel angles are with the angle cube  etc

2 of my friend ls have just bought a Endura 4 FFG and they were both very very close to 15 dps.  We have just been experimenting on what grit finish is best for long lasting performance between  600 and 1000 grit.  Still to be confirmed.

Thanks so far fellas

Steve

gregory mais
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

i have it said by sal glesser that they try to put a 17′ ps on their knives , but it depends on the guy working the belt that day

Steve
    Participant

Hi guys, just and update.

Today I have put the knife on my WE.

I’ve matched the factory bevel which is now and was near 15 degrees per side.

I have finished it with the 1000 grit stones and it’s is hair popping sharp and better then the factory edge.

I really wanted to take it through a couple more stages and take it through the strops and make it a mirror polished finish but I was worried as I didn’t want to reck the awsome edge that I had.

From my experience the mirror polished edges are all but useless unless you want to slash phone book paper all day long.

As much as I love the look of a mirror polished blades they are useless though.

Let’s see how long this edge with the S30 steel last hey guys? It was defiantly harder to sharpend.

Steve

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I don’t think that mirror finishes are useless at all.  When combined with a toothy micro-bevel, the polished parts of the main bevel will reduce the friction as the blade works its way thru the material being cut.  Done properly, a micro-bevel is almost invisible.

Yes, a mirror polished edge will slide right along the surface of a nylon or hemp rope.  Add a microbevel to break the fibers at the very edge and the polish on the rest of the bevel will help to slide the material being cut over the shoulders more easily.  This is the reason why polished bevels cut through paper so much easier than less polished edges.  That said, blades which are very thin at the shoulders will gain very little from a polished bevel.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.