Advanced Search

Spyderco Native – Maxamet

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Spyderco Spyderco Native – Maxamet

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  wickededge 08/15/2017 at 11:11 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

MarcH
    Participant

I’ve got a few Takeda knives in Super Blue and I love them. They’re wonderfully thin and agile, beautiful to look at and cut with. They’re also easy to sharpen and keep a very fine edge for a long time.

Clay the ” Super Blue” or also called “Aogami Super” is a little different than the hard stainless steels; HRc 62 and up.  The Super Blue has a higher carbon content and the carbides molecules from what I understand are much smaller.  I too have a couple Chef’s Knives made of this steel.  I find them to be less reactive than High Carbon Steel that has nothing in it to prevent rusting or staining.  The Super Blue Knives keep fairly well simply with washing and drying them well.

I have found the Super Blue to be the easiest and smoothest feeling hard steel I ever have sharpened.  The feed back through the stones and the sound while sharpening it is smooth like silk.  It probably sharpens smoother, faster, quieter and to a finer edge than any other steel I have experience with.  A sharp Super Blue Steel Knife is the definition of “scary sharp”.  Especially for a steel that’s rated HRc 64.  I only wish it wasn’t reactive.  I guess we can’t have everything.

Marc

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark76

Sounds great! Only the link isn’t working…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge
        Japanese Knife Reviews: my blog about Japanese kitchen knives

wickededge
        Keymaster

Sounds great! Only the link isn’t working…

Thanks Mark. I updated the link. Please try again and let me know if it works for you now.

-Clay

Mark76

Yup, it works now. Looks even greater than it sounds!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge
            Japanese Knife Reviews: my blog about Japanese kitchen knives

wickededge
            Keymaster

Here’s an update on my Spyderco Native with Maxamet blade: I’m over 3 weeks into using it and it hasn’t been sharpened. It’s been on two overnight backpacking trips and has been my exclusive EDC this whole time. This past weekend I cleaned out my garage and used the knife quite a bit breaking down big boxes (I got some really great rolling tool chests that took a lifetime to assemble and which came excessively packaged in cardboard and foam), I cut a fair amount of sisal rope, taping and trimming the ends of different pieces. The knife performed exceptionally well. It’s barely shaving now and will only take a couple of forearm hairs if I try hard. I’ll go another week with it as an EDC and test it again before I go to resharpen it. Here’s a funny story about sisal rope:

A few years ago, a friend asked if their daughter could come by and do a Cutco presentation. Since she was a college kid doing her summer job, we agreed. She went on about how sharp the knives were because of their unique serration pattern and she asked me to get one of my knives. She then took a thick piece of sisal rope and push cut through it with her demo knife. It breezed right through. Then she challenged me to do the same. Easy peasy. My pocket knife went through it with almost no effort and the poor girl was utterly shocked and at a loss for words because that’s not supposed to happen 🙂 This weekend, after all the heavy use my knife has endured, it still push cut through sisal rope with minimal effort. I guess the Cutco people are accustomed to everyone having VERY dull knives.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
            Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.