Advanced Search

Some silly thought of lapping film

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Some silly thought of lapping film

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    martix812825
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 13

hello all~i’m a newbie from Hong Kong,  just order a WE120 and few stones , waiting for the arrival, so i have no experience in wicked edge system ~

In here i found lots of useful information and lots of peoples in here love to share some thoughts, it makes me want to share some silly thought of lapping film~ i don’t know how much convenience it would be or even make the lapping much more  complicated~ anyway here’s something i want to share 🙂

The photos below is a film loading system of hasselblad, imagine it becomes a long and slim like the stone / lapping base

You can imagine the lapping film replace for the analog film~ In 1 roll of film it comes with few differences of micron lapping film.

1)By rewind or forward the lapping film, you can get the lapping film you want to use~

2)The lapping film storage in the system, keep it clean and protected.

3) can use the rounded edge to lapping the curves edge

4) if it includes 4 or even more differences lapping film, you dont need the extra lapping film base to stick on it ~

Another reason i use hasselblad to be a example is their film locking system is very firm, once you lock the film it won’t be move easily ~

Of course there’s many problems still need to be improve~ such as the size of lapping system wont be that handy any more; once the film accidently tear into two parts ,can’t fix it easily …etc

Anyway just some silly thought in this morning ~sorry for those who read my poor english /grammar~!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Thanks for sharing your innovative concept idea, and welcome to the Forum.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! Good to see it’s used in Asia too. And thanks for sharing your ideas.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

martix812825
    Participant

thanks guys ! 🙂

here’s the stones i ordered ~ but seems the 1200/1600 ceramic stones is not a highly recommended in here

Marc H

The ceramics do work well once they break. That can take a lot of use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

martix812825
    Participant

thanks Marc to confirming that~:)

Mark76
    Participant

I think you made an excellent choice. The 1600/1200 stones work very well, they’re just a little slower than the diamond stones. I use them a lot after the 1000 grit diamond stones. As Marc said, they do need some time to break in, as all stones do.

martix812825
    Participant

I think you made an excellent choice. The 1600/1200 stones work very well, they’re just a little slower than the diamond stones. I use them a lot after the 1000 grit diamond stones. As Marc said, they do need some time to break in, as all stones do.

In my first idea, the 1600/1200 stones is the last steps for some knifes which don’t need a fine mirror polish.such as some daily use kitchen knife~~

but do i have to stroke them like the lapping film,always going up ?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

No, you can do any type of strokes you like with the ceramics. They should be quite durable.

Marc H

Do I have to stroke them like the lapping film, always going up?

Any hard, solid stone that doesn’t cut can be used with any stroke, scrubbing, and both edge trailing (up and off) or edge leading, (done and on).  Only mediums that cut or gouge like strops do best edge trailing, (up and off).  Although, they can cut fairly easily, I have used some of the thicker DL Films, scrubbing and edge leading but with a very light touch and pressure.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

martix812825
    Participant

Thanks Organic and Marc.

i own an apex pro edge sharpener and few of the whetstones.When i use 5000 grits and 8000 grits whetstones or even the apex pro, feels like rounding the edge, not fine tuning it. of course probably is the angle I’m not holding it right and I’m tired to use the clamp to hold the knife -> release the clamp-> flip over to the other side and again and again.so it makes me wonder is the stroke direction not correct or something.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Stroke direction isn’t important for stones above 200 grit.  Very low grits are known to break off pieces of the edge when used in the edge-trailing mode, so some of us recommend edge-leading only for the low grits.  For the strops or lapping films, the opposite applies.  A sharp edge can cut into the soft material when used in the edge-leading direction.  Films will generally be OK when used edge-leading if the edge is relatively straight, but if the edge has a low radius, it will cut into the film.

As a matter of general practice, I use edge-leading (down-strokes) for all stones and edge-trailing (up-strokes) for all films and strops.  When I am trying to speed things up a little, I’ll use scrubbing strokes, but with less pressure applied on the return strokes.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

In my first idea, the 1600/1200 stones is the last steps for some knives which don’t need a fine mirror polish.such as some daily use kitchen knife~~ but do I have to stroke them like the lapping film, always going up?

You can use the ceramic stones just like the diamond stones, in any direction, They’re very hard. Unlike the DLF, in which you have to be a bit careful with your strokes. I’d probably use the 6 micron DFL after the 1200 stones – give it a try to see what works best for you.

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Organic and Marc. i own an apex pro edge sharpener and few of the whetstones.When i use 5000 grits and 8000 grits whetstones or even the apex pro, feels like rounding the edge, not fine tuning it. of course probably is the angle I’m not holding it right and I’m tired to use the clamp to hold the knife -> release the clamp-> flip over to the other side and again and again.so it makes me wonder is the stroke direction not correct or something.

Yeah, like you said it is probably the angle, since the whetstones are thicker than the “normal” stones, so they give different angles. Do you have an angle meter? I would highly recommend one. And if you want to be sure, use Tom’s tips on the stroke direction, although I often use a scrubbing motion or a parallel-to-the-edge motion, which works fine for me.

martix812825
    Participant

Hi tcmeyer, thanks for sharing the knowledge, specially edge-leading part, let me do more homework about it.

And yes Marc, actually i ordered  the angle meter and just arrived today, i’ll try out when the WE systems arrived (i guess will be mid of September)

IMG_2630

seems the biggest problems that i’m facing, is how to explain it to my wife for spending so much money in new sharpening stuffs…

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.