Advanced Search

Some help setting up my first WE system

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Some help setting up my first WE system

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Collector
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Hello everyone.

I am new here (actually just discovered the forum) and have spent the last 4 hours reading like a madman.

You guys have done a great job.

I used to sharpen my knives using Japanese whetstones only by hand.

I can say that I was satisfied by the result, concerning kitchen knives.

However, whenever I try to sharpen folding, hunting, tactical etc knives, I mess things up.

The harder steel, the greater angle, my poor technique, all of the above. Who knows…

Therefor I decided to take the big step and go for my first Wicked Edge system.

In the country I live (Greece) the Wicked Edge does not have any dealers.

So I am trying to figure out all I need to know, by videos and by reading you guys here.

If I could put my hands on it before I ordered maybe things would be much easier for me.

And this is why I need your help.

As I said I will have to order my WE from an online European store, and since it is not famous in my country, in case I make a bad choice, selling or trading something will be extremely difficult.

I understand that there is no certain way of knowing exactly what to get from the first time, and trial and error is part of the whole process.

But I would really appreciate your help in order to minimize the risk.

I am planning to buy the following things

Gen 3 pro sharpening system

Angle cube

Low angle adapter

These are the main parts if I may call them like that.

Now, concerning stones…

The Gen 3 includes the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 diamond stones.

Where should I go from there?

Since I have had previous experience with Japanese whetstones I was considering purchasing the whole Naniwa range of whetstones.

But boy are they expensive!

And from what I have read thus far, I don’t see many of you guys recommending them.

So, what comes to mind after the 1000 diamond stone is to move to strops or films. (or shouldn’t I?)

And here is my biggest problem.

Which road to choose?

Should I get leather strops with the according diamond pastes?

Or should I forget about stropping and head to the glass handles and the whole range of diamond films?

I am sorry for the long post, but I am really trying to figure out what to do, so I can place my order and patiently wait till the WE is at my door.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not only concerning the strops and films, but also the gen 3 and the other accessories I mentioned.

Are my choices correct according to your opinion?

Also, if you think I forgot to mention something (an add-on, an accessory, whatever) that I should consider buying, please feel free to let me know.

I am trying  my best (and spending more than I probably should lol) to have my sharpening system as ready as possible from day one.

Can’t wait to share some pictures as soon as it arrives.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Collector!

I think you may want all diamond stone from 100 grit – 1000 grit; it’s a great system. If you want to go on, you can go to strops, water stones or diamond films. SInce I’ve discovered the diamond films I want nothing else – they’re great.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Collector
    Participant

Hi Mark!

Thank you for the reply.

All diamond stone from 100-1000 grit are included in the generation 3 system.

Am I wrong?

So apart from that, you would suggest the films right?

No need to go to leather strops, pastes etc.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Collector; I have all the ceramic stones and once I identified the diamond film benefits (and used them), I no longer use the ceramics (They are “retired”-so to speak).   I have tried the strops, however, I prefer the films over the leather strops with diamond paste.   I, like many others on this forum, have started using the films “exclusively” after using the diamond stones up to 1000 grit .  I would say the diamond pastes on the strops have value for making great convex edges.  The flexibility of the leather seems to smooth well the multiple facets needed to make the perfect convex knife bevel (See Clays video on this site for details–https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhzIUNIFQjE ).  I have purchased three sets of glass platens and use the following progression after the 1000 grit.  This was the recommendation of TCMEYER in a earlier post on this forum.  ON Glass 6/3, 1.5/1.0, 0.5/0.1  If you use the films in this progression after the 1000 grit, you will not be disappointed.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

3 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Anything on the site listed as “Pro” will come with these stones, I believe.  12 Diamond Stones, 2 each in 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, and 1000 Grit.  It has been awhile since most of us looked at the differences in the offered packages.  The angle cube is very helpful and the low angle adapter will probably help for some blades too.   The only item I would consider not mentioned is either a high quality loupe or a USB Microscope for checking your edges as you progress.  This is/was invaluable advice to me as it probably saved me hours in sharpening time “learning the hard way”.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Mark76
    Participant

The only item I would consider not mentioned is either a high quality loupe or a USB Microscope for checking your edges as you progress. This is was invaluable advice to me as it probably saved me hours a sharpening time “learning the hard way”.

Yup, I think Clay should offer the loupe on the site. It costs only a few dollars on one of these Chinese sites and it is pretty good, so WE can make a healthy margin .

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Collector
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help M1rrorEdge!

I think I will follow your advice, and go for the films.

Only question is, how long do they last?

I mean, should I get one of each, or am I going to be left with nothing but glass in less than 5 sharpening and then have to place another order?

The diamond pastes (especially the really thin ones) are pretty expensive, and I don’t think I will try to mess with convex grinds in the near future.

I could invest on them if I find it necessary in the long run.

So, the cube is a good idea, and so is the low angle adapter. Happy to hear that.

Concerning the microscope…

I do not know if the rules of the forum allow it, but can I post a link from the shop I plan to purchase the WE and help me check if they offer such a microscope?

Mark76
    Participant

It depends on how you use them, but I’d say that on average a film last 10 sharpenings. Any other opinions?

Sure you can post a link to the microscope shop, but I’m not sure whether you want a USB-microscope (usually 200+ magnification, requires PC and generally not easy to use) or the one I referred to (60x magnification, no USB connection to PC, so no pics, but very easy to use).

Mark76
    Participant

Apparently I posted the link to the simple microscope (or loupe) in another topic. Here it is: Loupe

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Collector
    Participant

Thank you Mark!

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Diamond Lapping Film is a great option to refine and sharpen your edge at a very fine level. It’s also great if you are looking to achieve a spectacular polish on your knives. Each sheet comes with 10 pre-cut strips that are sized for Wicked Edge handles and each strip will last for approximately 5-8 sharpening sessions (So, one sheet will sharpen (on the low end) 50 knives) The films are peel-and-stick so they are very easy to apply to and remove from the glass or Aluminum platens.  Note: The films on the WE can be cut by accident usually due to fatigue.  Pressure while performing each pass is also a consideration.  The harder you press, the shorter the life for each pre-cut strip.  Light strokes are my preferred method to ensure I get the most out of each strip.

I personally have gone a little crazy on my optics (I have tried everything), however, I find this inexpensive pocket microscope from Carson perfect (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsL-kiLyngc)  with the simple loupe posted by Mark above or something like this (See Attachment below)…It will meet most of your needs.  I have purchased and used many different types of optical devices.  I find a magnification between 30X and 50X is enough for most sharpening sessions.

Check back in we would love to hear about your results!

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Attachments:
    Collector
    Participant

Thank you all for the great help.

I ordered my WE yesterday, and hopefully I will have it by tomorrow.

I was considering getting the ceramics 1200-1600 because the gap between the 1000 diamond stone up to the 6 micron film seemed a bit too much for me.

However I decided to pass the ceramic for now and see how it goes.

If I see that after finishing with the 1000 grit diamond the 6 micron is too early to be used, I may order the ceramics as well.

Concerning the microscopes and such, I have found a few cheap usb powered ones that are being sold in stores close to where I live.

I will give one a try and if I see that it doesn’t do the job for me, I will search for a loupe (no matter how cheap this little thing is, I have a difficult time finding one at a store)

I really can’t wait to get started!!!!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Collector:  6 micron abrasive is the equivalent of about 3,000 grit, so it’s really not that large of a difference.  You could add an intermediate grit by including the 9 micron film, which is the equivalent of about 1,800 grit.  But since Clay said he was getting good results jumping directly from 1000 grit to the 6 micron film, I haven’t found a need to use my 15 and 9 micron films.  Maybe an intermediate grit would reduce the amount of stoning I do with the 6 micron film.  Clearly, it’s seeing a lot more wear than my other films.

Collector
    Participant

Yeah, I would definitely get the “coarse” pair of films too, the 15-9, but unfortunately they were not available at knivesandrools.co.uk which is where I ordered from.

But since you guys say it is possible to go directly to the 6 micron film, all I have to do is try.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.