Advanced Search

small pocket knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion small pocket knives

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mitch roberson
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 5

I am new to wicked edge. Still have not received mine. It was ordered last week hope it comes soon. But in the mean time doing some research. I have about 30 small pocket knives that I need to sharpen. Most are 20 or 30 years old and many are the 3 blade type. I have not found a single video or any information about sharpening them on wep. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

The tormek jig might become your best friend

Austin

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mitch roberson
    Participant

I was just looking at that. Anyone have any videos with the wicked edge low angle adapter?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

the low angle adapter works very well, and is impressively stiff when clamped in the main vise. I have used it for some small pocket knife blades, but as vono360 says above, the Tormek small knife adapter fits equally well in the WEPS vise and worked very well for every pocket knife I’ve been asked to do. The only handicap is when you run into an older knife with loose joints, the blade is dangling unsupported and will move while you work the edges. In cases where I couldn’t deal with that, I’d try the low angle adapter.

It’s nice to have a well-stocked tool box.

mitch roberson
    Participant

Purchased both thanks for the reply

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

Wish I could attest to use of the laa but unfortunately have not picked one up yet!

Austin

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

My WE-130 works great using the LAA. It also helps to have the 12″ guide rods. The only blades I have had trouble with are the tiny spey blades. So I sharpen them by hand.

Here is a photo of my Buck 301X clamped up. I have my vise taped up to help keep steel flakes and stuff out of it.

Buck-301X-1a

Attachments:
    000Robert
    Participant

I just noticed that this thread is from 2015. Why are these “Ganzo” people allowed on this forum??

tcmeyer
    Participant

I think I just became a “Ganzo” person, as I just received my third.  So far, I’m pretty darn impressed with the quality.  What is your objection to them and how and where are they hijacking this thread?

In the nine years I’ve been on this forum, the only times commenters have been asked to go to a different thread was when it made sense from a search perspective.  Common courtesy and not too many rules have been the major driving forces on this forum.  That having been said,  a more stringent control of the content might make the forum a more usable resource for new users.  And that also having been said, I really like and appreciate the casual format and feeling welcome to jump in with a bit of wit or off-the-wall tidbits of trivia from time to time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

Because he dragged up an old thread to try and sell Ganzo knives. No wonder there is not much activity on this forum. People like that would be banned on BF.

Tidbits? It would be fine if those people actually had a good reason to comment on a thread rather than to just sell their cheap knives. I would rather have one good knife than a thousand Ganzo’s.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Hmmm.   I still don’t see who you’re referring to and where Ganzo appears anywhere in this thread, other than in your and my comments.  I highly doubt that there is a conspiracy to sell Ganzo knives.  The number of readers of any of the WE forum topics is probably close to the number of different knives offered by Ganzo, so I can’t see any rationale for it.

Forum members frequently discuss specific knives here and someone’s even created a separate topic for low-cost EDC knives.  Not everybody is that focused on high quality, medium to high priced knives.  I lust after Rocksteads and the like, but my frugal upbringing limits me to about $85, as was spent on each of my Spydercos.  I bought Ganzos because of the D2 steel used in certain models and I happen to use D2 in the few knives I make.  Adding to my interest, is that I know that the cost of the steel (to me) in the Ganzos is close to the total price, hence high value.  All three of the Ganzos I’ve bought on amazon have shown the same level of quality I’d expect from Spyderco.  Maybe higher.    High value and high quality (relatively speaking) make Ganzo knives interesting enough that I appreciate the discussions which have brought the brand to my attention.  Yes, I understand the nationalistic (made in China vs made in USA) reasoning to eschew the knives coming from that side of the pond, but it was the  preference for Asian cars that drove the American auto makers to produce cars of higher quality.  I still fume at the thought of the crappy American cars I bought during the 1970s and 1980s.  Motor Trend’s Car of the Year (maybe ’72 and ’81?) was the new Chevy Vega and Citations.  I bought both (a slow learner and a believer in “buy America”).  Both were nice cars with absolutely horrid quality.

Meanwhile $25 for an EDC knife I perceive as having high quality and high value.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

It has been deleted. Trust me, it was a troll for Ganzo.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Replies: 168

I have quite a few pocket knives, from Land 910 to Kershaw to CRK but my last purchases have been Barry Wood MkI and a few Frost Cutlery Barry Wood style knives. The blades are wide enough to sharpen on my WE 130 without any attachments but I bought the Tormek  and it was a good thing since the hand full of Old timers and Schrades have rather narrow blades. I also followed @Marc‘s advice and use thin strips of chamois between the blades and the vice jaws. I am not a knife snob by any means, I like what I like and buy it. That said, the land 910 is a great value for a “under $30” EDC on the large-ish side while the CRK is maybe a bit smaller. Would I carry the CRK in the woods? Not in this lifetime! I would definitely carry the Land or Kershaw or Schrades without a second thought! Why? They were in the $30 – $40 range. The Buck 110’s are good, solid, dependable but heavy-ish knives and the custom ones I have were about twice the price of the regular 110’s. I do carry one on occasion but more often than not I’ll have a smaller knife in my pocket. I’ve haven’t bought a Ganzo knife this far, but now that they get @tcmeyer‘s nod of approval, I may just have to take a look.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.