Advanced Search

Shun knives

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MarcH 10/05/2017 at 5:34 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Organic
    Participant

cjb80202; from a man admittedly with more money than brains and with no built-in stop check, (i.e., wife)…

So that explains how you’re able to get away with all of your knife and sharpening related purchases.

cjb80202
      Participant

Well if you saw my post about my $5 knife purchase, you’ll know that I’m now planning to start talking to my wife about the ‘average’ cost of knives I buy. The more cheap knives I buy, the more expensive ones I can buy!

For the caveat emptor about online shopping, I do hear you. I’m pretty fearless about buying on amazon, ebay, you name it. But only if I can find evidence that the seller is credible.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarcH

The knife you referenced is sold by a lot of big on-line retailers like Bed-Bath and Beyond, Amazon and Chef’scorner.com.  I believe it’s a mass manufactured knife and branded for different retailers.  It’s probably a fairly decent VG-10 Santoku, looks to be, a little overpriced, for what it is, but I couldn’t really see who made it and where.  I like knives like Mark76 writes about, a knife who has a known forger, artisan or factory.  I buy mostly Japanese for the “bang-for-your-buck”, factor.

This is still one of two of may favorite VG-10 Santoku’s I own. It’s a beautiful knife, easy to sharpen and keep sharp. It’s pretty durable and very thin profiled and light weight.  I still maintain that VG-10 is probably my favorite all around stainless steel for price, durability ease of sharpening without difficulty.  I like the mystique of the Japanese Super Steels but they’re just a pain to sharpen.

Marc

2 users thanked author for this post.
        Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.