Advanced Search

Showing off, and showing gratitude

Recent Forums Main Forum Showing off, and showing gratitude

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

Good evening all.

I’ve had my Wicked Edge 2017 Gen 3 Pro for about a month now. After spending countless hours on this forum learning from all of you, and sharpening a bunch of cheap knives, I’ve finally reached the point where I feel comfortable moving on to my more expensive stuff.

I’ve linked a video and attached a couple photos of an Ontario Rat I did tonight. It’s as close to a perfect mirror as I’m willing to get. In the first pic you can almost read the clock on the bevel from ten feet away. That’s good enough for me.

This will be my last “practice” knife. The next knife I sharpen will cost several hundred dollars, and thanks to all of you I don’t feel the least bit nervous taking that leap.

Well, ok…maybe a little nervous. 🙂

Thanks for being such a great community where newbies like me can ask questions and learn without fear of feeling stupid.

Cheers.

Video:

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Anarchy84
    Participant

Just for informational purposes, the progression I’ve settled on is:

100-1500 diamond stones

Jende diamond lapping films – 9, 6, 3, 1, and 0.5 micron

Kangaroo strops loaded with 0.25 and 0.1 Jende diamond emulsion at 0.5 degrees lower than primary sharpening angle

This has worked insanely well for me.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That’s some great looking work! It’s pretty amazing how fast someone can go from being a new user to obtaining results like that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anarchy84
    Participant

That’s some great looking work! It’s pretty amazing how fast someone can go from being a new user to obtaining results like that.

Thanks man. I agree completely. A month ago I had never sharpened a knife in my life. Just strops and Spyderco Sharpmaker to maintain my edges. Pretty wild how easy the Wicked Edge makes it for a novice to get good results.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It never gets old feeling the pride of a nicely finished knife.  This was my first recurve attempt.  I used Shaptons Glass Stones, then DLF (Jende), then leather strops.

Buck-Sassy
    I’m finding with the Diamond Lapping Film that, for me, when I get to a grit that has left me with a good shiny clear reflective bevel, call it quits, and go to the strops.  This one I only took down to 1.0µ on the films.  I only stropped with 4µ & 2µ.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.