Advanced Search

Search function hardly working

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Forum Usability Notes and Requests Search function hardly working

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I used the search function a couple of times, but it appears to give a lot (only?) links outside this forum. If you click on such a link, you get the message

Try searching again using the search form below.

The advanced search function offers the option to select a particular forum. But then you cannot search the entire site.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Mark,

Which box are you using?

Search-function-hardly-working-–-Wicked-Edge-Precision-Knife-Sharpener

-Clay

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

The boxes you drew a line about (bottom right in your screenshot). I’ve never seen the box with a cross through it. Where is that located?

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ve never seen the box with a cross through it. Where is that located?

That’s located just next to our logo and is the search for the rest of the site. Can you give me an example of some search terms you were using?

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

It might be that the procedure for using the advanced search is too complicated. I tried a regular search for “cbn” and came up with a number of results. When I tried the same search on the advanced search page and listed “Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies” as the forum, nothing came up. It wasn’t until I then also added “Need Help with Basics of Using Lapping Film” that I then got a filtered result listing only posts that fit the criteria.

Advanced-Search-–-Wicked-Edge-Precision-Knife-Sharpener

-Clay

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Clay, I don’t know if anything has changed in the past few days, but the “normal” search function seems to search the forum only now. It works good!

And the Advanced search function works well also. It is a bit complicated, maybe, but it works! One thing: once you have selected a topic, it is hard to enter a value in another field (clicking outside the box in which you selected the topic or using Tab doesn’t work).

But I’m happy now! Hopefully others as well.

Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

Jerrod Miller on bladesmithsforum.com pointed out that you can use google to search a forum as follows:

forumname.com: search

for your search   Wickededgeusa.com: cbn

IMG_4074

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.