Advanced Search

Scissor Attachment Update?

Recent Forums Main Forum Scissor Attachment Update?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The Scissor attachment was easy to install. Have only done one pair of scissors (Henckels) Set the angle to 25 on the scale, When you are sharpening you need to watch out for the blade you are not sharpening (see photo) put tape on the blade. It does not like to hold small scissors, tried 3 pairs and none of them would hold tight. Doing my first pair I am liking it, but will have to practice on more to get good at it.

Could you give examples of the types of scissors that didn’t fit? Photos would be most helpful. Thank you for the review!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The Scissor attachment was easy to install. Have only done one pair of scissors (Henckels) Set the angle to 25 on the scale, When you are sharpening you need to watch out for the blade you are not sharpening (see photo) put tape on the blade. It does not like to hold small scissors, tried 3 pairs and none of them would hold tight. Doing my first pair I am liking it, but will have to practice on more to get good at it.

We’re working on some blade covers that people can slip over the blade not being sharpened. Can you post some images and more info on the issue you had with smaller scissors?

-Clay

Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 24

Some additional info and pictures. Hope this helps, If anything else needed let me know.

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks for the scissor posts Fuelboat, we need someone to drive it forward.  This is where we get to contribute to the continued development of Clay’s magical toys.  There’s very few places where you can join the action like this.

By the way, it looks like maybe that last scissors got too close to an electrical outlet.

Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

I guess this rules out sharpening scissors of Leatherman tools or Saks…

Fuelboat
    Participant

Yes the last pair does get close to electrical work and so does the Fiskars  (first 2 pics) they are not as strong as the Ideal’s but they to a good job.

Fuelboat
    Participant

I guess this rules out sharpening scissors of Leatherman tools or Saks…

Got my SOG Multi-tool scissors to fit, used double-sided tape to stick some tool box liner to the scissor attachment. Took the scissor out of the multi-tool and attached it. The angle on my scissor was almost 90 degree so to get it to work the stone is very close to the vice so you have to use the bottom section of the stone to sharpen. Guess I will clean the SOG since it is half apart now.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Fuelboat,

Thanks for the pics, they’re really helpful. I’m confused by the scissors that are 5/32″ thick. The adapter can open to over 1/4″ so something else must be going on that I’m not understanding yet. Can you give some more details?

-Clay

Fuelboat
    Participant

Fuelboat, Thanks for the pics, they’re really helpful. I’m confused by the scissors that are 5/32″ thick. The adapter can open to over 1/4″ so something else must be going on that I’m not understanding yet. Can you give some more details?

tried it again and was able to get it to hold tight, it makes a big difference on where it is put into the vice, just less than a quarter inch difference and it does not hold. It is a learning experience just like anything new.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I bought the pro-pack 3 pretty much as soon as it came out and the scissor attachment was not even on the web site until a week or 2 ago. You can order it on the WE website now.

Please keep in mind that even with small scissors you do not need much pressure on the edge to sharpen these, and it’s an up and down motion so be very gentle. I’ve done half a dozen or so, and haven’t had a problem, although if you get aggressive and try and hurry, it can bite you.

There are as many or more types of scissors out there as there are knives so… Maybe we need a tormek small scissor attachment! LOL

sksharp
    Participant

Fuelboat, great pics. I have to learn to do the pictures.

The scissor att. can be put in the low angle adapter if you are hitting the vise.

Good info fuelboat.

Fuelboat
    Participant

I have the Field & Sport Pro with the Gen 3 vice and the scissor attachment only. I have to save up for other attachments, the low angle will be the next thing to purchase.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I love my low angle adapter. I use it very often (because I sharpen a lot of Japanese knives).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant

Spot on Mark76 I use mine on 40% of the knives that I do as well. Fuelboat, the attachment I use a lot as well, especially for pocket and thin blade knives that can be hard to clamp or that you don’t want to clamp because of potential damage, is the tormek small knife adapter. I use that attachment as much as the low angle adapter and sometimes with the low angle adapter. It’s around $35 at Tormek.com and works very well with the WEPS.

Fuelboat
    Participant

Spot on Mark76 I use mine on 40% of the knives that I do as well. Fuelboat, the attachment I use a lot as well, especially for pocket and thin blade knives that can be hard to clamp or that you don’t want to clamp because of potential damage, is the tormek small knife adapter. I use that attachment as much as the low angle adapter and sometimes with the low angle adapter. It’s around $35 at Tormek.com and works very well with the WEPS.

Will look at the Tormek items

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.