Advanced Search

Safety Mod (for Fingertips)

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Safety Mod (for Fingertips)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

After cutting myself a bunch of times I analyzed how and why it was happening. Usually I nicked a finger tip that I carelessly let hang off the stone when I was in a rhythm and not paying close attention. With trailing edge direction strokes, (up and away from the edge apex), I just bumped the blade on the way up and scared myself realizing what could have just happened. But when employing leading edge strokes, (down toward the blade apex), I nicked or cut myself. One time I cut the very tip on my ring finger off. That was a bloody mess. It kept me from sharpening for quite awhile. I tried to employ only the safer trailing edge strokes. Even being fairly careful from time to time I still bump a finger tip on the way up but don’t get cut. I find the trailing edge direction gives me more of a thin drawn out wire edge bevel than I care to have.

Next I tried to use glove like Ansel Hyflex No-Cut gloves to stop the bleeding. They worked pretty well but were bit sticky and cumbersome. I had to remove them often to feel the burr or check the edge that it was indeed getting sharper. I also noticed that I was still brushing or nicking my gloved finger tips against the ever sharper edge again particularly dangerous with my preferred leading edge strokes. If I didn’t have the gloves on I definitely would have cut myself considering I was nicking and cutting the glove finger tips!

I contemplated the issue for a while and this is what I came up with. It’s easy to make, inexpensive, and simple to use. I cut up the flat lid of Sterilite Plastic Totes in the flat “U” shape, narrow enough to slide down on the black finger grooved center plastic of the WE plates. It’s narrower than the colored plastic piece the aluminum plate and stones are glued to so it keeps it up out of the way. It keeps my fingers safely out of the way. I can now relax and get into a leading edge rhythm without any worries. Also the plastic gives me a wider lateral grip against the narrow stones, particulary Shaptons Stones, helping me to maintain a flat connection to the bevel without the stones or plates rolling from side to side with the lightest pressure. It doesn’t hinder me at all. The ones I made were quick and a little sloppy, a sort of trial run. I’ve used then for three knives and never felt safer and more relaxed. Next I measure and cut a pair with more care so the look nicer. But for now I can catch up on my dull kitchen.

I think it’s something Clay and Kyle could make and offer inexpensively cut out of the same material as the Advanced Angle Attachement.

Check out the pictures:

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    11 users thanked author for this post.
    Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 30

Good idea. Can be made from almost anything.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree – good idea!

At some point in my first year, I cut a chunk out my right pinky while sharpening a 12″ long High-Mountain jerky knife.  The cause was the length of the blade, as the long up-stroke ended before I reached the far end and I unconsciously started to lower the stone with my pinkies dangling.

I’ve had a few cuts here and there, but most are related to reaching beyond the tip of the blade when it’s time to change stones or retrieve something I need.  My homemade handles have finger grooves on each side, but do not have the flanges extending out like the WE handles. This would seem to expose me to an occasional slip-up, but that doesn’t happen.  I attribute the reduction in cuts to the fact that I always try to grasp the handles near the very bottom and always with all fingers firmly attached to the grooves – thereby minimizing the chances of dangling an appendage above the sharp edge.  Once you focus on that for a few sessions, it becomes second nature.

MarcH

Tom, I also now keep a folded dish towel laying next to the base. As soon as I lay down the paddles to do anything other then finger feel the apex I throw the folded dish towel over the knife. This practice has saved me from plenty of new cuts and nicks I use to get while reaching around or over the mounted blade. I had a bunch of thin shallow cuts up and down my wrists and forearms. I too tried to just concentrate on maintaining constant finger contact or placement against the paddle finger grooves but obviously I wasn’t doing it as I said even when I tried gloves every once in a while I nick a gloved finger tip. Now when using the guards I think I’m protected. I no longer sharpen with constant fear and trepidation of losing another finger tip. Now I can relax and enjoy the job.

Thanks, I always respect your feedback.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Wow!  That’s a lot of nicks and cuts and way more than I would expect for anybody.  Do you maybe have some sort of coordination deficit?  I take Tramadol for nerve pain and it kind of dulls your nervous system.  As a result, I have lost quite a bit of muscle mass and with it, some basic coordination.  I realized early on that my non-dominant right hand wasn’t as quite as accurate in eye-hand coordination as my dominant left hand.  This was particularly a problem when using the traditional alternating stroke method that Clay uses in all his videos.  As a result, I settled in on using one side at a time.  This lets me focus carefully on what my right hand is doing.  I’ll do 10 or 20 strokes on one side, then follow that with an equal number of strokes on the other side.  To remove any burr, I’ll use three or four very careful alternating strokes at the very end of a grit so I can check the edge with my ‘scope and not have a burr confusing the issue.  Works pretty good for me.

That’s great idea of covering the clamped knife with a towel while its not being worked on.  I’ve told myself repeatedly that it’s a bad practice and that I was eventually going to do some serious damage.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys,

We have something just like that for sale though I’m not seeing it on the site this morning. I’ll find the details and post the link.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

In the meantime, here are some photos:

Saftey-Shield-Attached-to-Handle
    Pair-of-Saftey-Shields

-Clay

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

Clay, I’ve been all through the website many times. I thought I’ve seen every item but never did I come across this. If I had I’d have bought it long ago.

Thanks, Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster

There was some communications glitch here at the office. They’re ready to be activated on the site and will be live shortly. Then I’ll post the link. They should have gone live over a month ago 

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Here they are: https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-safety-shield-2-pack/

-Clay

MarcH

Have you used the Safety Shields and what’s your opinion?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster

Have you used the Safety Shields and what’s your opinion?

I’ve used them pretty extensively and they definitely help. Everyone that’s tried them feels much more confident because their hands are safely behind the poly-carbonate layer. They take a little getting used to, especially when it comes to putting them on the handles and changing between grits. I’d like that part to be easier but I don’t think it’s enough to not use them.

-Clay

MarcH

They take a little getting used to, especially when it comes to putting them on the handles and changing between grits. I’d like that part to be easier but I don’t think it’s enough to not use them.

My “U” shaped Shields just slide down…easy on-easy off. They stay put and work as described. Maybe try cutting yours and see if that’s easier for you to get on and off.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.