Advanced Search

Reverse blade/ Karambit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

Just wondering if any one has tried a Karambit in the WE yet, if so any tips or tricks to share? The reverse blade I dont think will be to much trouble as there is plenty of room to work with the WE stones. I know that WE sells the rounded stones, but I dont have those, though if I start having more karambits show up I might invest in some. Any way, tips, tricks, advice, looking for any and all. Thanks folks.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

We were just talking about this a week or so ago about the time I finished my Spyderco Lil matriarch. Also there is the short recurve in my profile pic.

There are a few things to watch out for. Mostly as Josh had mentioned at some point, scrubbing up n down vertically is a bad thing and will almost instantly leave score lines that are hard to get out.

Heel to tip sharpening is not a problem to sweep the blade with full contact of the paddle, but if going tip to heel watch out for a score line being formed on the trailing side of the paddle when you stop. Lifting the trailing edge of paddle up off the blade will solve that for ya too.

Good luck, I really enjoyed the challenge of this blade shape!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Heel to tip sharpening is not a problem to sweep the blade with full contact of the paddle, but if going tip to heel watch out for a score line being formed on the trailing side of the paddle when you stop. Lifting the trailing edge of paddle up off the blade will solve that for ya too.

Kat,

Don’t be ashamed to admit you have no Idea what he’s talking about If you in fact do not, especially when it comes to the edge-leading & edge-training verbiage. Do you understand what Cliff is referring to?

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Kat,

Don’t be ashamed to admit you have no Idea what he’s talking about If you in fact do not, especially when it comes to the edge-leading & edge-training verbiage. Do you understand what Cliff is referring to?[/quote]

Great point Steven. So as to be crystal clear, I was not referring to either edge leading or trailing strokes….but as posted was explaining to lift up the trailing edge of the paddleoff the blade slightly.

An example of a trailing edge would be something like the rear bumper of your car(as car moves forward)

This was only mentioned for sharpening toward the heel because I experienced a groove being formed when the paddle stops abruptly at the ricasso. If you sharpen moving the paddles towards the tip, disregard this entire conversation. 😉

Good luck & have fun!

Rick
    Participant

KnifeKnerd, and CliffCurry; Thank you! Great advice, and explanations. I use mostly edge trailing. When I was younger I thought I knew about sharpening knives. Then I spent some time in Japan. I learned that I didnt even know how much I didnt know about it. 😆 To this day, Im still learning. So finding folks that are willing to share advice and the knowledge they have is an amazing thing, at least to me. Especially being such a newbie to the Wicked Edge. I believe this Karambit was a custom made, though I might be mistaken. Here is my progress so far.

Still have some work to be done on it,though I dont think I will take it to much past this point. For me I found holding the paddles at the top and using my ring and pinky finger to pull the bottom of the paddle away from the blade. through reading this typed out seems not to explain it well, I hope it will do for explanation. There was some marring on the ricasso from the owner (I guess) of sharpening this before, so I tryed to smooth that out a little using some fine sand paper.

Rick
    Participant

Kat,

Don’t be ashamed to admit you have no Idea what he’s talking about If you in fact do not, especially when it comes to the edge-leading & edge-training verbiage. Do you understand what Cliff is referring to?[/quote]

To be honest this verbiage I learned reading this fourm, well that and watching alot of youtube videos. I had learned this as the push/pull. Pushing the edge on the stone, or pulling the edge across the stone. As for shame, HA! there is no way I could afford to replace some of the knives I get to work on and sharpen. lol. Heck, if I were in the same areas as you folks, Id be willing to bring the beer just so I could sit, watch, and learn. 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.