Advanced Search

repair options and thoughts

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Max what a great job! Most people would have wrote that knife. It is not brand new, but what she had and what she is getting is pretty darn reasonable. 😉

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I think it will depend on how much of an expert the owner is… and how picky they are. This is sort of what I was trying to say earlier in the thread.

The knife should be ok, for a non-purist but I would expect it to not be anywhere close to as durable in the areas where it was over heated.

Leaning in to a blade on a belt grinder without frequent water quench is not what one wants to do!
    Even with quenching local loss of temper is likely. I think that the only way to remove that much material without over heating it, is with a new sharp belt and lots of patience.

I would love to hear what their reaction is too!

I suppose that anyone that uses a knife blade for pulling nails…or whatever they did to cause that chunk to go missing, is not likely a knife nut nor culinary expert. In which case, they will probably be happy to have it back without the chunk missing and actually sharp.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I think what Tuffy is saying, is that the knife is not blued, it is Darrell’s eyesight that is “off”, i.e. the knife was not over heated.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Firstly I should add re profiling especially in that area is a lot of work especially on a knife were the bolster drops to the heel, It is best to keep away from the dropped bolster at least by a good half inch as this type of knife wears the point dips down since the distance from heel edge to spin remains the same. So the perfect repair to a chip in the vulnerable area entails removing almost half an inch of blade to maintain a good profile : then the blade will have to have a thinning bevel which will need to be quite wide so as to maintain a balanced bevel from heel to tip – no mean feet especially on good steel.
    The dreaded hollow is often a result often of overzealous steel work since most people start in this vulnerable area.
    This area should not be over sharpened in fact it is often best not to bring it to a complete burr . Avoidance is far better than cure I await my WE and currently use an EP I always start my sharpening at the pointed end and work back towards the heel it is more avoidable on an open heeled knife like a Victorinox or a Japanese knife but the hollow except for joint carving knives is the enemy second to a blunt blade . So it is vital to keep an eye out for hollows laying the edge on glass a rolling the edge to look for hollows helps to spot them.

Attachments:
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

You read a bunch into those few words. Indeed I may have misinterpreted, there was not much oto go on. I hope so.
    Ruining the temper on a blade is a high cost for a repair job! Whether Tuffy did or did not, the possibility is still worth noting and avoiding!

I think what Tuffy is saying, is that the knife is not blued, it is Darrell’s eyesight that is “off”, i.e. the knife was not over heated.

Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

I think you did a great job on the repair. You could also have done what I did when faced with a broken kitchen slicer.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=4&id=1458&Itemid=271#3196

But I’m guessing your customer might not have liked it…..!

Rgds,

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Here is a photo of a Mac knife I had to re-profile it was a heck of a lot of work especially not having a WE as yet so I did a fair amount of it on a Tormek freehand including most of the blade thinning then I did the thinning bevel at 10Ëš through to the edge refined with 1200 grit then I set a micro bevel of 15Ëšusing 1200 grit then dropped a degree until I got to 11Ëšall done on EP ; then back to the leather honing wheel on the Tormek to smooth out the graduations glad I got to keep this one.
    The chef owner took a huge chip out of the middle of it on an Avocado stone the chip was about 1/2 inch deep and the profile of the stone.
    I cant wait to get the WE. so here are two pictures one the repaired MAC & two a photo of a new MAC.

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Here is a photo of a Mac knife I had to re-profile…

Thanks for posting that, it’s exactly what I was trying to describe.

You read a bunch into those few words. Indeed I may have misinterpreted, there was not much oto go on. I hope so.
    Ruining the temper on a blade is a high cost for a repair job! Whether Tuffy did or did not,…

[/quote]

We’ll have to wait for the Tuffy Translator (I’m not sure what he meant either.) :dry:

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Here is a photo of a Mac knife I had to re-profile…

Thanks for posting that, it’s exactly what I was trying to describe.

Ruining the temper on a blade is a high cost for a repair job! Whether Tuffy did or did not,…

[/quote]

We’ll have to wait for the Tuffy Translator (I’m not sure what he meant either.) :dry:[/quote]

Hey! I have a PDS (pretty darn sure) in translation and am willing to bet 2 🙂 that the translation is spot on :woohoo:

Bets to be settled upon Tuffy’s verdict.

Stevan Hopkins
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Looks great Tuffy. I am a rookie, can you quickly review how you reground the knife? Thanks. PS I like you videos.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.