Advanced Search

Recurves

Recent Forums Main Forum Recurves

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Woody
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 7

How many people have had success with recurves the one I have is only a small recure on a three inch blade but I am very hesitate without some advise and tips because it is on my favorite Hinderer I do have a couple of cheap knives with the same type blade shape I can practice with but would still like to hear some opinions of the more experienced. Thanks!

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

I’ve done recurves with both the curved ceramic and the regular diamonds. Only recurve I have left is my Cold Steel Rajah III which is my go to gardening knife.  Last time I sharpened it, I used the regular diamond through 1000 grit and then stropped.  Hardest part to deal with is the back end of the blade near the ricasso.  The curved ceramics handle this portion of the blade a little easier.  Here’s a pic after it was sharpened with the regular diamonds and stropped.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Woody
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 7

Nice that is much more of a recurve than what my Hinderer has glad to know it can be done.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have sharpened a Kershaw Tremor with no problems. Unless the blade has enormous amounts of recurve (like a gut hook or a karambit), I wouldn’t think it would present an issue just using the standard diamond plates.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

A year-and-a-half ago, I sharpened some of my sister’s higher-end knives.  One was a doozy of a recurve, but I used stones which were very well broken-in and I managed very well.  Remember that the sides of the stones will be where the cutting is done, so keep your pressure light and well-centered.  This will allow the stone to follow the edge without shifting the pressure from the leading edge of the stone to the trailing edge and back again.

hook knife view 1 comp'd

Sorry for the poor photo quality.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

As Tom said, try to use the edges of the stones for the recurves (or even the corners in case of major recurves). The curved ceramic stones work well, but they are only available in 600 grit.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Aaron
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 18

I put a mirror edge on a ZT 0300 without much difficulty.  When I sharpen recurves I just try to be conscious of where I am applying pressure with the stone to ensure I am following the curve of the blade.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

yes make sure to use light pressure, it is very easy to strip the diamonds out of the ‘corners’ or edges of the stones

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.