Advanced Search

Recommended Progression with my WE

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

Coming over from a KME I see some differences in my stone/grit progression so I figured it would be best to ask you experts here how to procede based on my inventory.

50/80. 100/200 400/600. 800/1000  1200/1600 ceramic 1500diamond/6 micron film,  4micron/2micron  leather, 1micron/.5 micron leather, 1.4/.6 ceramic.

Thank you.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, cmyhero! Good to see you found a worthy successor for your KME.

There are more variables than grit size/microns. There is currently a discussion going on on this forum about strops versus stones. I wouldn’t mix them, since leather strops create a somewhat convex edge, whereas stones create a v-edge. Also, the abrasive particles in leather strops get embedded in the leather, so they usually don’t expose their full size.

Personally I would use the same progression as you until and including the 6 micron film. (Although I hardly use the 50/80 stones. I usually start at 100 grit.) If you want to go on with films/stones, go on directly and only use strops at the end. If the .6 ceramic is your last stone, I’d probably use the 2 micron leather next, then 1 and .5. But it’s a rabbit hole and try experimenting a little to see what works best for you.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

Thank you, I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.