Advanced Search

Question about English

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Question about English

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use Grammarly as an extension to Chrome. It points out spelling errors and grammatical errors and it is quite good at it. I can recommend it also to native English speakers (which I am not, although my level English is probably above that of most Dutch people, since I’ve lived in Australia, visit the UK and the States regularly for my work and have written a book in English), even if it is only for pointing out spelling errors.

I have a question about a thing Grammarly continually corrects me on: my use of commas. In Dutch, my native language, we use a comma before a subordinating conjunction that separates the main clause and the subclause. So for example:

I go home, since I don’t like it here

I take the train, because my car doesn’t work

I don’t like sweets, but I do like ice cream

Grammarly continually points out I should remove these commas. Is that standard English? I didn’t know that and until now I always used a comma in these situations. Don’t you use commas in English at all in those situations?

Thanks!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I believe that your Grammarly extension is correct. I’m no expert, but those commas do look out of place to me as a native speaker of English.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The last time I studied English grammar was in about 1957, so I don’t presume to be an expert.  To me, a comma is used to insert a pause in the cadence of the writer’s intent.  I agree with Grammarly on the first two examples, as they each clearly flow in a continuous sentence.  You wouldn’t pause at the comma.  If you did, it might even sound a bit awkward.

I don’t necessarily agree with them on the third.  I think it’s common for English speakers to pause, or even delay the “but” part after the comma.  Certainly the sentence could do without the comma, but if the writer actually wanted you to pause so as to give a sense of emphasis or cadence of dialogue, the comma is the way to do it.

For what it’s worth, I still don’t know what a semi-colon is used for.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.