Advanced Search

Pro-Pack 2 or Gen 3 Pro?

Recent Forums Main Forum Pro-Pack 2 or Gen 3 Pro?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I’ve got an end of year bonus coming and I’ll finally be able to purchase a WE system (as long as the Mrs. gives the go-ahead). I’ve been trying to decide between the Pro-Pack 2 or the generation 3 pro model.

While the gen. 3 has the advantage of faster / easier knife clamping as well as that slick angle adjustment system, I have read reviews that claim the knife clamping is compromised when compared to the older style clamp. Specifically, the range of blade widths accommodated with the standard jaws on the gen. 3 are limited and the clamping force provided by the new design leaves some potential for blade play with many knives. I understand that there now accessory jaws available for handling both wider and narrower blades, but that adds to the already premium price tag.

Are these legitimate concerns or have these issues been overstated? Do you find that the clamping force provided by the new clamp design is sufficient to keep the blade securely in place during sharpening even if you accidentally bump the handle of the knife?

I realize that the older style clamp has its own issues, but it seems like there are known workarounds for those concerns. Can you point out any specific shortcomings of the gen. 2 clamp that have been addressed by the gen. 3 clamp?

The current sale on the Pro-Pack 2 really makes that a tempting option considering it includes the angle cube and some strops.

Side question: Does anyone know how long the sale on the Pro-Pack 2 will last?

Thanks,

David

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey David,

As you know, there are pros and cons to each system.  I’ve had the Gen 3 Pro now for about a year and love it.  When I sharpen everyday kitchen knives and many others, I have gotten to where I only use the angle cube on the right side of the blade.  I don’t usually check the left, because I know it will be the same.  That is how much confidence I have in this system.  (fancy knives and paying customers, I do check each side) Also, the Gen 3 clamp auto centers the blade, which is nice, especially for blades that have a full flat grind.

But……

The Gen 2 clamp system in the PP2 is in other ways more versatile.  For one thing it will allow you to set your angle up to 35 degrees (with blade 5/8″ above clamp) .  Recently I sharpened a mezzaluna blade.  I measured the angle to be 24 degrees, and if I could have, I would have put changed the angle to something higher, perhaps 27-28 degree.   Turns out, for the height of that blade, the highest angle I could sharpen it at was 24.  So now I am actually thinking of ordering a F&S model, just to be able to sharpen certain blades at higher angles.

Tough choice between the two.  The Gen 3 Pro is a real beauty and so fast to set up and use.  The PP2, with it’s gen 2 clamp is in some ways more versatile.

In the end, I think you’re likely to be happy with either.

I think there are a few members here who have both systems.

PS –  Can’t say for certain, but it seems that most WE sales last awhile.  Like a month or so?

I hope I’ve been helpful to you. Cheers!

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

David,

This may be of help:  https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/my-wicked-edge-journey-long/

In this post, I provide my perspective, as I own and use both the PP2 and Gen3 (strictly for personal use).  For me, which is better depends on what types of knives you routinely sharpen.  Love the ease and time saving features of the Gen3 … but I still find I use the PP2 as often, if not more often, for most of my smaller knives.

Dennis

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    1. Dennis,

Thank you for that great post! I actually saw the thread when you posted it originally, but I remembered it for the safety warning and had forgotten that the main point was actually a description of the two setups so it was nice to read again.

It seems to reinforce my understanding that the new version is good at what it does and is a large step forward in speed of setup but that it is simply not as versatile as the gen. 2 design.

If I had unlimited money I would love to have both because the gen 3 is undeniably easier to setup. Also, it does look so much more like a high end product. I know that’s silly, but I can’t deny the allure of a beautifully designed  tool. ?

I anticipate that I’ll be sharpening a lot of kitchen knives as well as modern folders. My knife collection is very meager, but I love sharp blades and I enjoy sharpening as a hobby.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Like Dennis, I have both the Gen 1 and Gen 3.  I traded a few stropping supplies for an extra paper/rock base and fabricated a new base (the blue goddammit).  So I can change vises in less than a minute.  Also like Dennis, I love the Gen 3 for FFG blades, but for everything else, I’m happy with the old version.  If I were forced to choose, I’d pick the old one, (a few knives were too thick for the Gen 3) but I’d be saving my nickels up to buy the Gen 3.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I anticipate that I’ll be sharpening a lot of kitchen knives as well as modern folders. My knife collection is very meager, but I love sharp blades and I enjoy sharpening as a hobby.

Organic, I have a mixed assortment of roughly 50 kitchens knives that I do keep very sharp. Most of them I purchased since I bought my first WE (PPII). (Searching for the perfect cut). Now I use a Gen 3 Pro almost exclusively, and I love it. I have yet to come across a knife that was too thick or too narrow a sharpening angle to exclude me from using the new cam clamping vice. I find the ease of clamping, quick adjustability and the secure clamp hold far out weighs any negative aspects.  I also upgraded my Pro Pack II with a Gen 3 Vice. That setup gives me the ability to independently adjust the bevel angles, right and left, for uneven grind Knives and wider bevel angles than the Gen 3 Pro allows with still the quick secure clamping ease. Once in a while for very short paring knives or small EDCs I use the “Tormek Small Knife Adapter” with the Gen 3.

I guess if I was to buy only one WE I’d get the Pro Pac II with the Gen 3 upgrade and a pair of extra long arms.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant

Update:

My wife gave me the go ahead and I just placed my order for a Gen. 3 Pro along with the 1500 grit stone, a glass platen pack, 6, 3, and 1.5 micron diamond films, the 2/4 micron strop package, a low angle adapter, an angle cube, and the advanced alignment guide. The build quality and ease of use of the Gen. 3 Pro ultimately caused me to choose it over the versatility and lower price point of the Gen. 1/2 style clamp. I’m really pumped to get these tools and upgrade the edge on my knives. I imagine it will be a significant step up from what I’ve been able to achieve with the Lansky system that I currently have.  Thanks to everyone who helped me weigh the options.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Organic:  I’m sure you’ll be delighted by the edges you’ll achieve with your new gadgets.  You have just enough of a selection to spin your head with the options you’ll have.

I have friends who have systems like the Lansky and Edge Pro.  These are all fine systems, but they share one major handicap which is that they only sharpen one side of the edge at a time.  You’ll learn that having access to both sides is a huge benefit.  Not only can you see what is happening right at the edge, but you can easily control the amount of material being removed from each side and easily control burrs.  I love it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

These are all fine systems, but they share one major handicap which is that they only sharpen one side of the edge at a time. You’ll learn that having access to both sides is a huge benefit.

I have a Lansky Sharpening System (1980) and a Edge Pro Professional (2000’s) and I agree with this statement completely! However, I still enjoy the flexibility these other systems provide me for unique situations.  My vote is all the above!  They each have  subtle differences and limitations which complement the others very well.  Where one system falls short, the others seem to pick up the “tab”.  With that said, I still grab the Wicked Edge first . I enjoy the time savings , the limited maintenance required for the system and stones, the wear resistance,  and no water requirement (Thus little clean up) and lastly, near perfect results every time. 

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Organic
    Participant

I have enjoyed using the Lansky system. It is quite a bit easier than trying to sharpen free-hand and I have been able to get my knifes to easily shave hair and push cut paper with that tool. What I’m hoping that the Wicked Edge will offer that the Lansky falls short of are the ability to clamp a knife in a repeatable manner for quick touch-up work, the increased speed of being able to work both sides of a blade at the same time, superior build quality (less variability in the sharpening angle!), and the ability to obtain a hair-whittling mirrored finished edge. Considering the cost of the Lansky, it is a great tool and I would still highly recommend it. I’m with M1rrorEdge in that I think every sharpening tool has it’s place. I would also love to get a Tormek T8, a belt-driven system, a paper wheel setup, a really good set of free hand stones if I had unlimited resources. The more the merrier!

David

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.