Advanced Search

Poll: For those who flipped angle bar (no detentes) do you use the micro adj.?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Poll: For those who flipped angle bar (no detentes) do you use the micro adj.?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wicked Edge Sharp Knives
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 22

I just fiddle with the angle bar adjustment until I get suitable readings with the angle cube.  I do no use the micro-adjustment.  I am wondering if others are doing the same as me or if it is more common and better practice to use both the angle bar adjustment in combination with the micro-adjustment even though I no longer worry about the angle bar adjustment slipping into a detent.  What do you do?  Thanks for taking the time to read my question!

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

I flipped the bar years ago and haven’t used the micro adjusters since.  I have an allen wrench that fits the adjustment screw with a plastic screwdriver handle and sometimes use the handle to tap the adjuster along the bar.  I have polished the end of the setscrew so that it doesn’t dig into the bar and mostly adjust with a pinching of the fingers action with one hand while controlling the friction with the other via the allen wrench.  I find this to be much faster than the micro adjuster, but my OCD factor isn’t off the scale.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I use the microadjusts with every grit change, but my having modified my stones requires it.  I use the VSTAs, so each adjustment takes only a few seconds.  No angle cube except when setting the initial angle.  When I do a convex bevel, I sometimes use the detents to make incremental changes, but more often I use multiple turns of the microadjust screws.  When near 20 dps, each turn is about 0.32 degrees.  Three turns is about 1.0 dps.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.