Advanced Search

Newspaper Strop

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    FinalEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

As many of us may know and have learned from the infamous Murray Carter. I myself have used his methods before the purchase of the wicked edge and still do to this day. I first learned sharpening using the japanese water stones a few years ago. My question is about the newspaper strop he does after his 6k king stone. What abrasive function does the newspaper play or is it basically just to true the edge up. It’s making me want to try it with some blank glass platens and a strip of newspaper double sided taped to it. Just curious if anyone has tried this.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Using newspaper is new to me – hadn’t heard that one.  Paper and cardboard are loaded with other materials to get the desired texture and strength.  Glossy magazine paper has a lot of clay in it.  These added compounds probably contribute to the abrasiveness that dulls edges.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Good question and I don’t know. I can imagine the ink/paper has a little abrasive power, but for the rest it’s maybe for realing things? If anyone can give better answers, I’d be interested.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

FinalEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

I just know Murray Carter swears by it. I have all of his DVD’s and watched all of his Youtube videos and he always finishes with a newspaper strop on top his 6k stone.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.