Advanced Search

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The paper stone base is some serious tuff stuff.  I’ve tried to run some dry-wall screws into it and snapped them off pronto.  If you want to mount something onto them, plan to drill & tap at least.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

🙂

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

TangoSierra
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

I was thinking of picking up a piece of 12×12 steel plate from a local welding shop. I got one for $10 a few years ago for another project. I will drill a hole and tap some threads so I can bolt the WE to the plate.

I had not unpacked the Angle Gauge so I didn’t realize it was small enough to fit in the WE case. Thanks for that advice.

What is the cutout in the foam that is shaped like a small tap wrench for?

Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Replies: 24

I was thinking of picking up a piece of 12×12 steel plate from a local welding shop. I got one for $10 a few years ago for another project. I will drill a hole and tap some threads so I can bolt the WE to the plate. I had not unpacked the Angle Gauge so I didn’t realize it was small enough to fit in the WE case. Thanks for that advice. What is the cutout in the foam that is shaped like a small tap wrench for?

<span style=”font-family: ‘Arial’,’sans-serif’;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>The mounting bolt is a 5/16-18 2” long that I had. The mounting bolt wrench was one that came with something that I purchased. I have a bad habit of keeping way too much stuff in hopes I may need it sometime. The wrench for the Micro Adjustment is a ‘Screwpop Tool’ with a 1/8” hex bit. Hope this helps.</span></span>

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    TangoSierra

Fuelboat,

Thanks for that info, but I was actually inquiring what should have come, or used to come in the slot I described and was empty in the kit I received.

Fuelboat
    Participant

There was nothing in the slot on mine either, the hex wrenches will fit but it’s hard to get them out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I think most of the cases from WE come with a few open slots. I don’t know why. My PP3 was the same way. Had room for other attachments and more stones in mine.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    TangoSierra

I think I will cut out the area I was talking about to store the digital angle gauge and enlarge the cutout area for stones to accommodate space for the 1500/glass plates and the kangaroo strops.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Fuelboat, have you got any idea how the <spanstyle> tags got in some of your posts?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

TangoSierra

Another question if you guys don’t mind. What power of magnification do I need for visual inspection of the blade for sharpness?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Some use a 9 or 10 power lighted loupe or others use this 60X Handheld Microscope.

I have the room to use a laptop adjacent to my WEPS, others have a PC in their stations, so I prefer to use one of these two, inexpensive, USB Powered Microscopes,  Plugable and Carson both work very well and are relatively easy to manage at the price point.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have both the Carson USB microscope that Marc indicated as well as the 60x currency scope. I find the 60x scope to be my go to method for bevel inspection since I don’t usually bother to set up a laptop when I sharpen. I also find that the 60x scope is much easier to focus when compared to the USB scope.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I have used a 10x and 14x loop and it works OK. Definitely better than the naked eye. Thanks to a friend of mine prodding me I recently started using a USB microscope and the difference in what you can see is incredible. Big improvement and I think it will be faster when I’m used to it.

Fuelboat
    Participant

Fuelboat, have you got any idea how the <spanstyle> tags got in some of your posts?

I had typed the message into Word and copied the text and pasted it into the message. Lesson learned!

I was working from a tablet with a small screen

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I too would like to be able to mount my F&S Pro.  I’m thinking of doing the same with mine using the WE aluminum mounting plate.  I’ll check with them to see if they can send me one without the pre-drilled holes.

Alan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.