Advanced Search

New WE owner/ vice help

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New WE owner/ vice help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Evan Eriksen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hey guys,
    Just signed up and thought I’d post a little intro. I’m a recent new Wicked Edge owner and have really enjoyed the system for the couple days I’ve had it. Coming from some one who has only had some croc stix for sharpening the Wicked Edge sure can do a lot more with amazing precision and accuracy. I was surprised how simple it was and there really wasn’t much of a learning curve. After a couple beater knives I was confident enough to sharpen my SNG and Sebenza and they turned out great. I got the pro pack 1 so I haven’t been able to get a mirror finish but but I’m planning on getting the ceramic stones and maybe even the chosera.

There has been one issue that maybe you guys can help me with. It looks like the bottom screw to the vise broke off into the female side. The top screw works fine and I can still get ok clamping power but I dont want to further damage the top screw by putting too much stress on it.
    I can post some pics of the broken threads inside the vise when I get home from work. I e-maild Clay and if you see this thread maybe you can let me know if this is an easy fix.

Evan Eriksen
    Participant

Here are some of the edges I have gotten so far. Not as refined as I want them to be but they are all very sharp.

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

The bottom screw doesnt go into the opposite jaw of the vise, it presses on it. What you are seeing is the bottom screw wearing the black off, and then wearing the aluminum away. It uses pushing force to push the bottom away, so the top gets extreme leverage for clamping power.
    I was thinking about machining a blind counterbore, and pressing a stainless steel insert into it someday.

Knives look good! great work!

Evan Eriksen
    Participant

The bottom screw doesnt go into the opposite jaw of the vise, it presses on it. What you are seeing is the bottom screw wearing the black off, and then wearing the aluminum away. It uses pushing force to push the bottom away, so the top gets extreme leverage for clamping power.
    I was thinking about machining a blind counterbore, and pressing a stainless steel insert into it someday.

Knives look good! great work!

Oh… ok. That makes sense now. I was wondering what the black dot in the middle was. So that’s just the aluminum wearing away from the screw pushing into it. That’s a relief as I thought I was going to have to send it in after the first day I got it. Thanks a lot and appreciate the help.

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

no problem at all. It is good to ask questions here before you drive yourself mad on any topic, whether you avoid a return package or avoid wasting hours solving a clamping issue, it is worth it.

Marion
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 41

Someone long before me did this, and I copied them, but I took the bottom screw and took it to my grinder and grownd the bottom flat, then started making a ball taper on the end so it wouldn’t cut the vice up so much

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.