Advanced Search

New version of Grit Comparison Table in the Knowledge Base

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance New version of Grit Comparison Table in the Knowledge Base

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

FYI, there’s a new and (we hope) upgraded version of the Grit Comparison Table available in the knowledge base.

Please take a look, let us know your thoughts.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Rich
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 51

Why are the 1500 diamond stones left off??

Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

Why are the 1500 diamond stones left off??

I was just about to say this. The chart looks great, but I’d love to see the 1500 grit diamond stone and perhaps a few diamond lapping film photos. ??

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

So far, we just migrated the rows that were already in the table; I know that Clay and team are working on updates/additions like the 1500 stones.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anarchy84
    Participant

The new chart looks perfect, Chris. Works well on mobile, too. The old one didn’t work so well on my phone.

Nice work!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Absolutely great work! Thanks.

I miss a few items:

• larger photographs would be better, so you can see the scratches better (and were the scratches measured by WE or based on the manufacturer’s statements? – which are not always correct).
    • the 1500 grit stones
    • all lapping films
    • the micro fine ceramic stones.

By the way, I would separate the WE products from the Chosera and Shapton stones. That would make the table a bit more comprehensible since I think 95% or more of the customers buy the WE products.

And something that occurred to me: the 400/600 grit stones are mention twice on the product page.

Success!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I would separate the WE products from the Chosera and Shapton stones. That would make the table a bit more comprehensible since I think 95% or more of the customers buy the WE products.

For those of us that do use whetstones, (Chosera’s and Shapton’s), it’s helpful having them integrated all in one Grit Chart, just like it is.  When we are looking to change stone types, such as, diamonds to whetstones to lapping film, we can use this grit size information to make a more informed, better decision when trying to decide on our best progression.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

By the way, I found a pretty nice grit chart on the web that’s very extensive: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1VaTf3MXuwuvH-QLwOci4f9B9Zhkbuu1wjoSCZIUsR-o/htmlview#gid=0

Mark76
    Participant

By the way, I found a pretty nice grit chart on the web that’s very extensive: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1VaTf3MXuwuvH-QLwOci4f9B9Zhkbuu1wjoSCZIUsR-o/htmlview#gid=0

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Thanks, Mark,  I had previously downloaded and used that.  It has a lot of information and data.  The WE Grit Comparison Chart is more concise so, for me, it’s quicker and easier to use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Our plan is to redo the grit chart completely and to grade each abrasive by its effect on the blade. We will publish the manufacturer’s stated grit and the corresponding micron size of the particle, but that is only a little bit useful. Depending on the substrate, particle density etc., different abrasives can yield wildly different results, so we’ll take clean samples and apply the various grits and then have them imaged, with the scratches counted and measured for width and depth using an SEM. We’ll also put the samples, all sharpened at the same angle, through our sharpness testing machine and will give those results as well. It’s a big project, so it’ll take some time to complete.

-Clay

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Clay, that is going to be an excellent resource when you finally finish it. I imagine it will make quite a splash in the knife community once published. I look forward to it and I applaud you and the Wicked Edge team for taking on the task.

Anarchy84
    Participant

That will be incredible. Thanks Clay.

Mark76
    Participant

Our plan is to redo the grit chart completely and to grade each abrasive by its effect on the blade. We will publish the manufacturer’s stated grit and the corresponding micron size of the particle, but that is only a little bit useful. Depending on the substrate, particle density etc., different abrasives can yield wildly different results, so we’ll take clean samples and apply the various grits and then have them imaged, with the scratches counted and measured for width and depth using an SEM. We’ll also put the samples, all sharpened at the same angle, through our sharpness testing machine and will give those results as well. It’s a big project, so it’ll take some time to complete.

That’d be awesome, Clay!

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

The table looks better and I’m glad to see the shaptons on it as well. I’ll also be very interested to see the pics for the 4 thru .5 emulsions since I’ve had some very good results with those in particular. Looking forward to the new one Clay.

GOOD JOB   Chris !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.