Advanced Search

New time buyer curious about black Friday sale

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started New time buyer curious about black Friday sale

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    snowking47
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi guys,

I have been lurking the website for the past couple months. Reading the forums,reviews and FAQ’s etc. I am looking to purchase a wicked edge sharpening system. I am located in Canada, so the cost is a bit more for me (exchange rate,shipping and Customs/duties). I do not have many knives in my collection so far (kershaw blur glass breaker, cold steel recon 4,benchmade 940-2, kershaw leek and other various hunting knives of lower quality) I never had huge interest in knives or sharpening until I purchased my 940-2. Now Its seems i am hooked. I purchased the sharpmaker with extra stones. It has worked alright, not quite what i had expected. I wish i had used the money towards a wicked edge system. I would like to achieve the hair whittling edge.

I have been very undecided about what system to buy. I have had trouble finding any info on if there is a black friday sale? Also i had planned on purchasing the 100/200 grit, 400/600 grit and the 800/1000 grit. Would those be enough to get me started?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hi Snowking47!

I’m not aware of a black Friday event on the Wicked Edge site. However, you will find that some sites still have the pre-2017 versions of the Wicked Edge products on clearance and you can get a very good deal. The Wicked Edge site has the pre-2017 field and sport sharpener on sale for $199! That comes with the 100 /200, and 400 / 600 stones which is enough to get a nice toothy edge for EDC blades and European style kitchen knives. The 800 / 1000 would be a good choice to add to that kit and would offer a significant improvement in edge refinement. I would also suggest considering a strop set such as the 5 / 3.5 or the 4 / 2 strops. These accessories will allow you to obtain edges that push cut paper and shave hair easily.

Hopefully others will offer their opinions as well, but my experience is that a 1000 grit edge will not whittle hair. You’re going to need a much more refined edge for that cutting task and you’d want to get the 1500 / glass and some lapping films along with well as several sets of strops.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Justin Fournier
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 54

I’ve emailed support and asked among other questions if they planned anything for a black Friday sale, and in the past 10 days or so both emails never were replied to.

I’m also sitting on a fence with buying the upgrade pack for my pre-2017 100, and which lapping films to switch to based on my current strops and stones. So I have been checking facebook on my wife’s account and other social media but nothing so far.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Snowking! Try and give them a phone call. These seem to be answered more quickly. Success and hoping for you there’s a Black Friday (of which I’m not aware….).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I should add that Wicked Edge has never done a black Friday event to my knowledge. The few items that they have discounted in the past have been related to the discontinuation of a particular product and the attempt to clear out old stock before or after launching a revised model. Considering that they haven’t announced a sale and they haven’t done one in years past, I would suggest that the items on clearance currently are the best deals you’re going to come across unless you decide to purchase a used setup. I don’t claim to have any insider knowledge, but I get the sense that WE products are not sold at a high margin of profit to begin with. Small scale manufacturing of precision tools is expensive.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    David
    Participant
    • Replies: 37

When I was looking to purchase a W.E. system I talked to a W.E. staff person. I asked if they ran any special. And was told they have not, other than the discounted items on the site. I hope this helps. I brought a W.E. pro pack III. The results I get are awesome.

David

3 users thanked author for this post.
    snowking47
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for everyone’s help. I just completed an order for the Pro Pack II. Anxious to receive it and get started.

Mike,

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.