Advanced Search

New Sharpener 15X sharper than anything ever on the market before

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic New Sharpener 15X sharper than anything ever on the market before

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

OK, got your attention.  What does the future of knife sharpening hold? What new advances? automations?  Where are the limits.   If we could sharpen a knife 15X sharper than we can now, would it have any practical use?  Would it go thru paper easier?   Even if we could make something 15X sharper, is the ease that it cuts proportional?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think you’d need a new alloy or a new material of some kind in order to get anywhere near that margin of increased sharpness. If you could thin out steel 15 times thinner than the limits of our abilities are now I don’t think it would be able to cut anything because it would crumble. Useful or not, it would be cool.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

A while back I showed off my Aritsugu Japanese chef’s knife with a 6 dps edge and someone discounted it as not belonging in a kitchen.  At the time I thought that was probably a valid statement.  It was crazy sharp but seemingly too fragile for ordinary use.

Since then, I’ve used it a dozen times or so and realized that it takes very little extra care to keep it sharp.  A few simple rules:  Never use it to cut foods with hard content (bones, etc).  Never use it on anything but a soft cutting board.  Always clean it immediately after use and store it in a protective sheath.  Obeying these minor rules will give you great joy.  Every time I use it is a “wow!” experience.

So what’s 15X?  Doesn’t matter if it’s the moon or Mars.  Sharper is sharper.

GROSEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

No need even if possible, the only improvments as of now would be the 0.050µ And 0.025µ Sprays Im thinking about getting ’em just for fun.. but with a pricetag of 300 Euro i dont see any praktical use for it

Kind regards
    Martin

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotVerySharp
    Participant

OK how long did it take you to get a knife that sharp, as in, how much experience sharpening?  Whats the trick to getting something that sharp? The metal? OR?

GROSEN
    Participant

about 30-40 min to get it That sharp. I Got the Wicked edge about 9 months ago. 

Just did a Kershaw Leek in 35 min with reprofiling Down to 17 DPS my progression was 80 100 200 400 (formed a burr with the 400) 600 800 1000 then i used the fims stating with 6 microns then 3 micron That gave a Nice polish But i took it further Down to 1 micron and ended with .5 micron films.

Then i stroped the blade with 3.5 – 1 – .5 – .25 & .125 micron on leather.

The trick is to keep the same motion thru all your Stones and strops. If you change the Way you sharpen a knife you change the degree ever so slightly.

Once you have a burr its all about removing the previus grit marks. Less presior is more just lightly pass the blade with the Stones and you get a better edge.

When you get to stropping dont use any presure! Just let the stops do all the work.

I post a video later with a sharpness test of the leak

Kind regards
    Martin

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

May I ask you which stropping compunds you used? And did you use nomal leather or kangaroo leather? And did you reduce the angle with the strop? If so, by how much?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

GROSEN
    Participant

May I ask you which stropping compunds you used? And did you use nomal leather or kangaroo leather? And did you reduce the angle with the strop? If so, by how much?

Sure. I used the normal leather strops from 14µ to .5µ i use the Diamond paste included with the strops anything below .5µ i use CBN sprays. at some point i would like to get the 1µ and .5µ CBN sprays as i think they work a little faster/better than the WE pasts + they are easyer to work with.

Regarding the angle i allways use the same angel when stropping. they key is extreamly light presure and at the end of each grit they are bealy touching the blade..

I used this blade a few times betwen sharpening it and making the video so it dulled a bit on me.. I have another leek im doing tonight.. if anyone want to see how i sharpen let me know and i record it and upload it to youtube

Kind regards
    Martin

GROSEN
    Participant

Well just did the other one 😀 this is how it came out of the WE

Ohhh that sound

News paper cut test

The Finish on this one is flawless. took some cardboard from a cereal box and taped it on a set blank alloy handles and put on some 5 micron and 3.5 micron paste that worked well. cardboard dont have as mutch give to it as leather so i could use ALOT more force without damageing the edge and force it to roll on me. still used the 5 and 3.5µ on leather afterward

Kind regards
    Martin

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotVerySharp
    Participant

about 30-40 min to get it That sharp. I Got the Wicked edge about 9 months ago. Just did a Kershaw Leek in 35 min with reprofiling Down to 17 DPS my progression was 80 100 200 400 (formed a burr with the 400) 600 800 1000 then i used the fims stating with 6 microns then 3 micron That gave a Nice polish But i took it further Down to 1 micron and ended with .5 micron films. Then i stroped the blade with 3.5 – 1 – .5 – .25 & .125 micron on leather. The trick is to keep the same motion thru all your Stones and strops. If you change the Way you sharpen a knife you change the degree ever so slightly. Once you have a burr its all about removing the previus grit marks. Less presior is more just lightly pass the blade with the Stones and you get a better edge. When you get to stropping dont use any presure! Just let the stops do all the work. I post a video later with a sharpness test of the leak

GROSEN:

Would love to see you sharpen a knife !  or 2 !

GROSEN
    Participant

I’ll give it a go then

Kind regards
    Martin

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.