Advanced Search

New Knife Database

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

In my estimation the database needs THREE more columns for each entry

I agree the fields you mention would be useful, particularly a comments field, which can be used for anything the standard fields do not support.

That said, I think the main advantage of the database is the recording of the position of the knife (depth and alignment). I hope everybody records those settings that result in as little angle change as possible at the tip of the knife.

All of the other fields record either fixed information about the knife (length, steel, etc.) or, as you rightly remark, information that is to some extent subjective.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tony Pettersen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

its a bit light on Fallkniven on the present time as that is the majority of my knives 😛
    id love to know what Alignment`s people are using 🙂

Mark76
    Participant

Hey Tony,

Just added the A1 to the knife database 😉 .

This is no easy knife to sharpen, though. But I managed :cheer: . You can read the entire story on my blog[/url].

Tony Pettersen
    Participant

thanks 🙂
    that one had had you thinking 😉
    a side by side goniometer pic of original edge and new edge would be interesting.

any thoughts on the differences in technique on each side? 🙂

have anyone sharpened the Idun? i have a B alignment im not totally happy with

Mark76
    Participant

I’ll try to post some more pictures when I get to it.

When I had posted my blog the edge was basically 13 degrees on one side and 14.5 degrees on the other side. This was no problem: it shaved arm hair.

However, I wanted a truely symmetrical edge, so I have now put a symmetrical 15 degrees per side microbevel on the edge. It still shaves arm hair :cheer: .

In hindsight: if I have to maintain a fully convex knife again, I’ll start with stropping only. If the edge is just a bit dull, that should be enough. However, as I wrote, the A1 had a small microchip, so in those cases you’ll have to use the stones.

You’ve probably read it already, but here is a good article on finding the right position for your knife in the vise.

Tony Pettersen
    Participant

thank you, hadn’t seen that one..
    hehe vg-10 at 15 it should cut a headhair that you pull over down on the edge i bet. the idun does it at 20 per side..
    yeah i like the sharm of hand sharpend convex but the OCD “or CDO as i want them alphabetical 😉 ” part of me wants the angles perfectly symmetrical…

looking forward for the pix 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’ve added some new fields to the database: Intent and Comments, thanks to BassLakeDan for the suggestion. We’re still working on adding an image field. Please add in your knives to help build the knowledge base.

-Clay

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

We’ve added some new fields to the database: Intent and Comments, …

Thanks, that helps a bunch ! I am not sure how many chars the comment field will let me put in there, but i will experiment with some entries and see how it goes..

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks, that helps a bunch ! I am not sure how many chars the comment field will let me put in there, but i will experiment with some entries and see how it goes..[/quote]

Thanks for the continued feedback, it’s helping us to keep improving.

-Clay

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

Thanks, that helps a bunch ! I am not sure how many chars the comment field will let me put in there, but i will experiment with some entries and see how it goes..[/quote]

Thanks for the continued feedback, it’s helping us to keep improving.[/quote]

No problem… Also I did PM you (email actually) about the server issues. Did you get that email? If not I can re-send it.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I think I did receive it and we’re in the process of moving to a different server. I’ve been wrapped up with getting the new designs into prototype and getting ready for Blade Show, so I’m not sure where we stand on that issue. I’ll check with our webmaster to find out. How has the speed been lately?

Thanks for the continued feedback, it’s helping us to keep improving.[/quote]

No problem… Also I did PM you (email actually) about the server issues. Did you get that email? If not I can re-send it.[/quote]

-Clay

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

How has the speed been lately?

Pretty slow in my experience. And I’ve gotten no response from server errors over the last 5 days or so a few times… (other sites browsing fine, when it was slow once I tried it on my phone and had the some trouble)

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

PS – thanks for working on this Clay! :cheer:

wickededge
    Keymaster

How has the speed been lately?

Pretty slow in my experience. And I’ve gotten no response from server errors over the last 5 days or so a few times… (other sites browsing fine, when it was slow once I tried it on my phone and had the some trouble)[/quote]

I just got off the phone with our webmaster and they are in the process of testing the site on a new server. We should have it moved by next week!!

-Clay

Richard Green
    Participant
    • Replies: 23

Hi Clay,

I hope you don’t mind my saying so, but I would make this move a very high priority. Maybe your highest.

The website is painfully slow — you can wait 5, 10 or even 20 seconds for a page to load. I have no doubt this is costing you sales. Many Internet users have become accustomed to instant response and will give up in frustration when pages take a long time to come up.

The WEPS is a rich system with many accessories and choices to make, and it’s really a major time commitment to browse through everything. In fact, a lot of prospective buyers will browse the Forum looking for answers about how the system performs and accessories they may want to get with their first purchase. It takes way too long to do that with the server speed the way it is now.

Further, the Forum is an incredible resource for engendering customer loyalty and stimulating repeat sales (in part due to your personal participation.) I know I’m contemplating buying various stropping accessories I probably wouldn’t have considered had I not read about them in the Forum. Nowadays, I hestitate to login because I know it’s going to take forever just to read the most recent messages.

The website is far too valuable to WEPS to let it continue in this state.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.