Advanced Search

New Knife Database

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys,

I’m really happy to finally announce our new Knife Database! You can find it with preceding link or under the resources tab. Here I hope you’ll all contribute your knives, adding in as much as you know about them and the recommended settings for sharpening them. I’ll get started adding some today. Eventually, I hope we’ll have a very comprehensive database that we can all use as a resource. It is searchable and sortable by any of the category headings so you can browse by manufacturer, steel type etc… I’m looking forward to everyone’s contributions.

I should add that we built this database on the recommendation of forum members. Many thanks to all of you that are kind enough to share your suggestions!

-Clay

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Saying thanks just doesn’t seem to do justice …. but ….. THANKS.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

+1

The WEPS forum just got even better! B)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks! This should become very useful for quickly and easily determining how to set up a knife in the vise. I already took a look at the entries in the database so far and to me they look quite accurate.

I think it is a very useful addition that’s going to help a lot of people.

And now let’s start filling it! :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks guys for the early entries! I’ll be traveling over the next two weeks but will get back at it when I return. Hope to see lots of new entries coming in.

-Clay

Scott Babineaux
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 80

How about a spot for a picture for reference and comparison. Not of the edge but the entire knife.

Bill K
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 14

awesome … added one knife to test it but not showing up. i’ll check tomorrow and then add a couple more.

thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster

awesome … added one knife to test it but not showing up. i’ll check tomorrow and then add a couple more.

thanks

Thanks for adding your knife and any you add in the future! Once you add them, I get an email to approve them and I log on and click okay before they show up. Same thing with edits. It’s an easy way to limit spam and catch errors.

-Clay

Jim Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 26

What a great resource… Thanks Clay and I’ll see you at the Blade Show in Atlanta!

wickededge
    Keymaster

How about a spot for a picture for reference and comparison. Not of the edge but the entire knife.

This is a good idea, thank you. I’ve passed it along to our webmaster and hopefully we’ll be able to implement it.

-Clay

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

How are people determining the “recommended angle” of these knives? Is it their personal preferences or something that is more objective?

Bill K
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 14

i always have tried to get the manufacturer’s feedback on the factory edge angle but that is not always possible.

i am comfortable trusting the suggestions of anybody who has purchased a WEPS and is participating on this forum since they are likely much better at sharpening then i am !

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

How are people determining the “recommended angle” of these knives? Is it their personal preferences or something that is more objective?

For me it is at least in part personal preference. I often follow the manufacturer’s angle. That is relatively easy for me, since I have a goniometer. However, sometimes I sharpen the knife to a sharper angle. This may be because the manufacturer set a very obtuse angle on it. For example, I have a Becker BK16 that was sharpened to over 30 degrees per side). In some cases I also think the knife can handle a sharper angle. For example, I always try to sharpen a sujihiki (Japanese slicing knife) to as sharp an angle as possible.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

For me it is at least in part personal preference. I often follow the manufacturer’s angle. That is relatively easy for me, since I have a goniometer. However, sometimes I sharpen the knife to a sharper angle. This may be because the manufacturer set a very obtuse angle on it. For example, I have a Becker BK16 that was sharpened to over 30 degrees per side). In some cases I also think the knife can handle a sharper angle. For example, I always try to sharpen a sujihiki (Japanese slicing knife) to as sharp an angle as possible.[/quote]

Mark,

Right, I think this is an issue with the database. In my estimation the database needs THREE more columns for each entry:

1.)
    I would like to see a “comments section” so that we can leave comments regarding the entry we make to the database for a particular knife. I think 500 characters in a little box might be a good idea. A little space for user comments would be enough.

2.) Username of the contributor of the data and

3.) Usage Intent of the sharpen, i.e. kitchen use, axe wood chopping, EDC, etc..

To give you an example about why I think this is necessary is my own case in particular. When the database was announced I thought “Gee that’s a neat idea, and I have at lest a dozen knives that I can put in there..” Then when I looked over the database I realized that I could put in none of them, because it would confuse anyone looking at my entries. My CRK Sml Sebenza is a perfect example. This knife comes with a factory convex. Clay has a video on how to sharpen it with a modified taper grind. I have done mine with a standard V grind. So we need to be able to list all these possible “option grinds” in the database with a brief narrative in a comment box of each possible choice. If I was to just “plunk down” my V grind data with no explaination, it would make no sense whatsoever to someone scanning over the database.

Just my 2 cents

wickededge
    Keymaster

Dan, great suggestions, I’m passing them along to the webmaster to see if we can include them. Thank you.

For me it is at least in part personal preference. I often follow the manufacturer’s angle. That is relatively easy for me, since I have a goniometer. However, sometimes I sharpen the knife to a sharper angle. This may be because the manufacturer set a very obtuse angle on it. For example, I have a Becker BK16 that was sharpened to over 30 degrees per side). In some cases I also think the knife can handle a sharper angle. For example, I always try to sharpen a sujihiki (Japanese slicing knife) to as sharp an angle as possible.[/quote]

Mark,

Right, I think this is an issue with the database. In my estimation the database needs THREE more columns for each entry:

1.)
    I would like to see a “comments section” so that we can leave comments regarding the entry we make to the database for a particular knife. I think 500 characters in a little box might be a good idea. A little space for user comments would be enough.

2.) Username of the contributor of the data and

3.) Usage Intent of the sharpen, i.e. kitchen use, axe wood chopping, EDC, etc..

To give you an example about why I think this is necessary is my own case in particular. When the database was announced I thought “Gee that’s a neat idea, and I have at lest a dozen knives that I can put in there..” Then when I looked over the database I realized that I could put in none of them, because it would confuse anyone looking at my entries. My CRK Sml Sebenza is a perfect example. This knife comes with a factory convex. Clay has a video on how to sharpen it with a modified taper grind. I have done mine with a standard V grind. So we need to be able to list all these possible “option grinds” in the database with a brief narrative in a comment box of each possible choice. If I was to just “plunk down” my V grind data with no explaination, it would make no sense whatsoever to someone scanning over the database.

Just my 2 cents[/quote]

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.