Advanced Search

New 1500 grit stone

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements New 1500 grit stone

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Clay, are you using a oil immersion 100x microscope lens in these photos or a 100x Dry? They look great!

I’m using an oil immersion 100x lens.

-Clay

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Thanks for the great microscope images Clay!

Based on your findings, would you recommend progressing to the 6 micron or the 9 micron films after the 15oo platens? It seems like both are able to remove the 1500 grit scratches but perhaps the 9 micron is doing so more rapidly. I know you previously made a video demonstrating the lapping films going from 1000 straight to the 6 micron and you seemed happy with that progression. Did you try going from the 1500 platens to the 3 micron films?

Thanks,

David

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks for the great microscope images Clay! Based on your findings, would you recommend progressing to the 6 micron or the 9 micron films after the 15oo platens? It seems like both are able to remove the 1500 grit scratches but perhaps the 9 micron is doing so more rapidly. I know you previously made a video demonstrating the lapping films going from 1000 straight to the 6 micron and you seemed happy with that progression. Did you try going from the 1500 platens to the 3 micron films? Thanks, David

You’re welcome. I am pretty confident in the progression of 1500#> 6 microns but I do want to test jumping straight to the 3 micron films. Hopefully I can do that today.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I just reestablished the 1500# bevel with 10 strokes and then jumped straight to a new set of 3µ films. I did 10 strokes per side with the films:

3-Micron-Edge-3

Overall, I think it’s a doable jump though 10 strokes seems too few because there were still some 1500# remaining. So a person could go straight to the 3 micron but would need more strokes to fully clean up the bevels. For that reason, I still think the best progression is 1500#> 6µ> 3µ.

-Clay

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Here’s another look at lower magnification (200x) that shows the leftover scratches from the 1500# stone. It also shows that I didn’t make it all the way to the edge with the 3µ films:

3-Micron-Edge-3-200x

-Clay

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    narcoleptic
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10

I placed an order for the new 1500s and some diamond lapping film a few days ago.  Very anxious to give them a try.  Ive been using the 16oo ceramics this entire time and was very happy with the results.  Finally broke down and will be giving the lapping film a try.  How long does the film normally last? Apologies for the noob question.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Ive been using the 16oo ceramics this entire time and was very happy with the results.

Once you use the lapping films, please report back your observations in comparison to the ceramics.  I have the ceramics but once I used the lapping film I never went back.  I may get the new 1500 grit stone today!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

Clay,  on couple of occasions, your lapping tape did not reach the edge… Do you have any theories as to why not? Is it play in the system, an angle  change, or something else?

Hapslappy
    Participant
    • Replies: 30

I pried open my wallet and ordered a set a couple days back. Should arrive by Tuesday or so. Looking forward to trying them out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

My 1500’s are on the way, can’t wait!

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, on couple of occasions, your lapping tape did not reach the edge… Do you have any theories as to why not? Is it play in the system, an angle change, or something else?

I think because the grit jump was too big and I didn’t spend enough time working it to abrade all the peaks off and get to the valleys of the previous scratches. That left me a little higher, just a minuscule amount, maybe a couple microns, than the edge.

-Clay

narcoleptic
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10

Ive been using the 16oo ceramics this entire time and was very happy with the results.

Once you use the lapping films, please report back your observations in comparison to the ceramics. I have the ceramics but once I used the lapping film I never went back. I may get the new 1500 grit stone today!

Sharpened 3 knives with the 1500s and the lapping film.  I am very happy I ordered them!
    I’m still breaking in the 1500s so it’s a little hard to give a real opinion, but the lapping films are great.  My edges are sharper than ever.  Not only can I whittle hair, I can curl it.

The first knife I sharpened I did 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 1200,1600 then the film.

The second and third knives I did 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 1.4 ceramics, .6 ceramics, 1200,1600, 3 film, 1.5 film, 1 film, .5 film and then .1 film.  They came out wonderfully!  I may have taken a few extra steps but oh well, all in the name of fun!

I also ordered the gen 3 vice grip and I swear that seemed to make difference as well.  Much less play.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

I wish to update the GLGC to include this stone.  Does anyone know the average abrasive size (D50) used in the 1500 plates?

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Not sure.

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

My mesh/micron chart from AdvancedAbrasives.com says that 1200 mesh will pass particles in the range of 10-20 microns, with an average of 15.  1600 mesh will pass particles ranging from 8 to 16 microns, with an average of 12.  In my experience, their mesh numbers line up pretty well with grit ratings.  Interpolating from their data, I’m guessing that 1500 grit would have a particle size of about 13 microns.  Never fear, though, as nobody else uses my grit chart but me.

BTW:  AdvancedAbrasives.com doesn’t post their chart anymore.

Clay:  I see on AdvancedAbrasives.com’s web site that they are in cahoots with a Finnish firm which plates “nanodiamonds,”  using either nickel or hard-chrome plating.  I’m inferring that “nanodiamonds” means smaller/finer than your 1500 stones.  Maybe another chance to resurrect the 3-micron stones?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.