Advanced Search

My first try with Chosera progression

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos My first try with Chosera progression

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

This is a Kershaw Skyline. I’m happy with my first try but there’s room for improvement. The most interesting thing is the different images from the Veho 400x microscope of this knife edge (not the exact same spot). I just changed the angle of the microscope and lighting to get strikingly different images.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Excellent pictures! I like to go for the second picture lighting – this only really happens at the 5K+ levels. You can really see everything!

IMO, you’ve done an outstanding job in establishing the final finish grit scratches! Keep it up! B)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Those images look great. I agree with Tom about the second position for the lighting, that’s what I shoot for as well by rotating the scope around. The bevel might not seem pretty at that magnification, but it helps to remember that those scratches are TINY and the edge itself looks excellent. That is really nice work.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Excellent pictures! Really good focusing. (And a great edge… Just got my Chosera’s in as well :), will try them soon.)

Did you take the pictures with the knife flat on the ground/table/microscope base and the microscope straight on top of the blade?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

Mark76 wrote:

Did you take the pictures with the knife flat on the ground/table/microscope base and the microscope straight on top of the blade?

Not exactly.

I have the microscope stand below which has a fine adjustment knob that allows me to more easily focus. I’ve been experimenting with putting a piece of playdoh on the base of the stand and squishing the back of the blade into it in such a way that the blade edge is up and at a slight angle to the microscope.
    I adjust the angle of the blade and the intensity of the light to get different images. I haven’t yet determined how to quickly get the best image – I just have to keep adjusting things until I get what I want.

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 33

Nice job! And great little working knife there. I like the Skyline.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.