Advanced Search

My 'first' custom kitchen knife =)

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos My 'first' custom kitchen knife =)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Our el cheapo Cuisnart (actually solid for the $$ spent!) has gotten worn down over years of abuse and me learning to sharpen since we were married almost 12 years ago. That and one of my kids decided it was a good idea to try to chop into the corner of the cutting board (we like our knives thin – but they must be respected and taken care of) which put a large dent into the primary. So I decided to make my wife a new one. I decided to go with CPM 20CV for it’s outstanding corrosion resistance. I sent it to Peter’s for heat treat (61rc) and I was able to finish it up today!

The scales are ALVS Paua shell, wet sanded to 2k grit then lightly buffed. I actually did ‘hidden’ pins on this – but since most of these scales is resin they actually show through lol (normally it would have appeared pinless). The tang is tapered as well (thought it would be a good idea for a slight balance shift/weight reduction).

I started w/ 1/8″ thick blade stock and fully flat ground it to where the edge was about .025″ thick at 15 dps. From there I actually changed the edge (secondary bevel) from V to a zero convex, basically by resetting it to a much lower angle (~8dps or so) blended into the primary grind up to about 1″ up from the apex. The reason for this is that this does an outstanding job of preventing “potato stick” lol, not sure of the correct terminology but basically where food sticks to the side of the blade.

Finally I put the final edge on with the Wicked Edge at 11 dps (yes it reached that angle no problem since the blade width is about 2″). Lastly I finished w/ a microbevel at .5um. I didn’t test the edge w/ hanging hair but I believe it would have zero issues reaching HHT4.

Anyway, enough w/ me gabbing… here’s a few pics and a video =)

Here’s a side by side of the old one w/ the new

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Wow! If I had the tools and skills to turn out something like that I would fill a few knife blocks for myself and then start selling them. That’s a truly beautiful knife and you obviously put a very nice edge on it.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

So you made this knife entirely yourself? Congratulations! As far as I know it’s the first knife you made yourself (?). Time for some more?

And I love the knife, particularly the handle and the steel. Great work!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Damn!  That’s your first custom knife? That’s one to keep forever!  Absolutely beautiful.  Super nice!

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Nice job Josh! Beautiful! I like the geometry that you came up with as well. Let us know how it’s holding up as you use it.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Mega dittos from me, Josh.  Outstanding work!

Quick question:  How long is that blade?  Judging from the photo alongside the Cuisinart knife, I’m guessing it’s 11″ to 12″.

I’m just starting on a full-tang skinner and have been thinking about going the tapered route (the handle will be much heavier than the blade), but I don’t have the fixtures needed to keep the faces flat for a good scales fit.  I’m jealous!  😉

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Damn! That’s your first custom knife? That’s one to keep forever! Absolutely beautiful. Super nice!

It’s sort of funny… I do all the things involved w/ knifemaking, scales, blade work, choils, jimping, detent work (on folder), etc. I just don’t actually make a lot of blades, that’s why I put it in quotes hehe. I have made a handful of fixed blades in the past but this IS my first kitchen knife made totally by me. Thank you for the compliment 🙂

Nice job Josh! Beautiful! I like the geometry that you came up with as well. Let us know how it’s holding up as you use it.

Thanks! I am very curious as to how the edge geometry will hold up. We have cut several things (tomatoes, lemons, onions, galic, etc) with it, and it’s holding up very good so far. There is only one tiny spot in the edge that has rolled slightly – but it has only affected the very apex not the secondary bevel so I think I have that dialed in perfect. I will monitor it over the coming weeks and play around w/ the optimum microbevel angle.

As far as the geometry  of the grind, if I push the edge w/ my fingernail firmly I can see flex into the primary grind – that’s where I like my kitchen knives though so it’s perfect 🙂 We’ve been using our other Cuisnart w/ similar geoemtry for years w/ no issues (until my kid tried chopping the corner of the cutting board lol).

Mega dittos from me, Josh. Outstanding work! Quick question: How long is that blade? Judging from the photo alongside the Cuisinart knife, I’m guessing it’s 11″ to 12″. I’m just starting on a full-tang skinner and have been thinking about going the tapered route (the handle will be much heavier than the blade), but I don’t have the fixtures needed to keep the faces flat for a good scales fit. I’m jealous!  

Blade length is 9″ long, and just a hair under 2″ wide. The Cuisnart is 7.5″ long and just a little bit over 1.5″ wide. Tapering isn’t difficult, I just did it on my flat platten. You could also use a 1/2″ bit and drill out the handle a good bit prior to heat treating the blade – would really help w/ weight.

Wow! If I had the tools and skills to turn out something like that I would fill a few knife blocks for myself and then start selling them. That’s a truly beautiful knife and you obviously put a very nice edge on it.

Thanks my friend. That’s a good point and would work for someone doing it as a hobby – but since I work on knives as a profession there’s not enough money in it I’m afraid. I have probably 8 hours in this one total.

So you made this knife entirely yourself? Congratulations! As far as I know it’s the first knife you made yourself (?). Time for some more? And I love the knife, particularly the handle and the steel. Great work!

Yes, sure did! Thanks Mark 🙂 I love 20CV for the stainless properties and being a PM steel is a plus. Otherwise I would have gone w/ AEBL probably.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I love it! And I’m super envious of your mad skills. Nice work.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’m still amazed by the looks and the geometry of your first custom kitchen knife. I’ve experienced already you’re very skillful with modifying knives, but actually making one…

That’s a good point and would work for someone doing it as a hobby – but since I work on knives as a profession there’s not enough money in it I’m afraid. I have probably 8 hours in this one total.

I understand what you’re saying. In a sense, custom knives are way too cheap (as a user I’m not complaining). But then again, a Dutch knife maker who lives nearby is able to ask what many people feel are high prices, just because he is so good. His customers are from all over the world.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.