Advanced Search

Modifying Stones to Work with Spyderco Knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Modifying Stones to Work with Spyderco Knives

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea Page
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

Have any of you guys modified the platerns to make it possible to sharpen Spyderco knives all the way to the ricasso?

No matter what, I always have about 1/8 of an inch of edge that isn’t touched due to the platerns. If any of you guys have any good remedies to this, or modifications, I’m all ears! Thanks everyone.

Chelsea Page
    Participant

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Forgive me, I need to learn my way around this forum. 🙂

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Replies: 33

Have any of you guys modified the platerns to make it possible to sharpen Spyderco knives all the way to the ricasso?

No matter what, I always have about 1/8 of an inch of edge that isn’t touched due to the platerns. If any of you guys have any good remedies to this, or modifications, I’m all ears! Thanks everyone.

It’s a good question, so far I have just been putting up with the messed up 1/4 inch of blade close to the Ricasso and then I will clean it up with my Sharpmaker. I played with the idea of trimming the plastic down on the portion of my paddles that contact the Ricasso but I haven’t done anything yet.

Most of my knives are Spyderco too…

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It’s a good question, so far I have just been putting up with the messed up 1/4 inch of blade close to the Ricasso and then I will clean it up with my Sharpmaker. I played with the idea of trimming the plastic down on the portion of my paddles that contact the Ricasso but I haven’t done anything yet.

Most of my knives are Spyderco too…[/quote]

Please don’t feel that I’m pushing any products, but one option would be a set of waterstones since they sit up much higher than the edges of the tray holding the stones and can reach the back of the Spyderco blades easily. The other option is to trip the plastic at the edge of the regular stones.

-Clay

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

+1 on what Clay said.

My choseras go all the way to the ricassos. They are thicker than the diamond stones, so the platerns don’t bump into the ricassos.

Chelsea Page
    Participant

The Chosera’s aren’t really an option for me right now. I have them in bench stones and for the EP, but right now I can’t afford them for the WE yet.

I may try to trim the plastic off the platerns soon. Has anyone here done that?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. 🙂

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Replies: 33

I have been toying with the idea of trimming the plastic down… I just hate to do something that permanent to them for just that 1/8 of an inch of blade.

If you eventually do it, post up a youtube vid maybe so I can see how it works… ;p

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 41

Yes please do. I was thinking that if u had blanks u could put spacers in to make them flat?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.