Advanced Search

Mod to sharpen a Spyderco knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Spyderco Mod to sharpen a Spyderco knife

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Spyderco knives are a challenge to sharpen because of their ricasso next to the choil. (Well, a ricasso is unsharpened by definition, but I like to sharpen the entire edge.)

Some people mod their stones, sanding off the plastic ridges, in order to be able to sharpen this ricasso.

I prefer to mod the knife. This is my new Paramilitary 2.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Mark you did that just perfect. If I didn’t have a Spyderco PM2 myself, I’d have a hard time seeing what you did. You use a dremel? Anyway, nice work!

Alan

Alan

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Having just redone my para II and running into that same spot, Id be interested how you did that as well. Looks great!

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I agree with Mark. I explain to customers what needs to be done and why. It’s up to them. I hand file blades with a diamond file. I’ve seen enough damaged blades from dremel lol. You other guys know what I’m talking about

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I agree with Mark. I explain to customers what needs to be done and why. It’s up to them. I hand file blades with a diamond file. I’ve seen enough damaged blades from dremel lol. You other guys know what I’m talking about

I’m so quick to reach to reach for my Dremel, especially with the Flex Shaft which doesn’t give you the level if control you hope for… At such high RPMs, and a very short amount of abrasive contact with whatever material, it’s destined to jump on you out of nowhere!… I think it’s because being able to properly use a file takes years to master.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks guys! I did it with a Dremel using a small round diamond grinder. I have a battery-powered Dremel that can rotate really slow.

I intended to also use a small rod with fine sand paper or use a fine file, but that wasn’t even necessary.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Nice mod there mate 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.